A Novel Shape Descriptor Based on Interrelation Quadruplet
In this paper, we propose a new shape descriptor, which represents the 2-D shape information by using the concept of interrelation quadruplet. For this purpose, the polygonal approximation of 2-D shape is applied first. The line segments can be extracted from the polygonal shapes and the definition of interrelation quadruplet between ling segments is introduced. The properties of interrelation quadruplet that is invariant to translation, rotation and scaling of a pair of line segments is described. Several useful properties of the interrelation quadruplet are also derived in relation to efficient partial shape recognition. The shape recognition using the interrelation quadruplet requires only small space of storage and is shown to be computationally simple and efficient.
KeywordsLine Segment Shape Descriptor Shape Information Zernike Moment Polygonal Shape
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kauppinen, H., Seppanen, T., Pietikainen, M.: An Experimental Comparison of Autoregressive and Fourier-Based Descriptors in 2D Shape Classification. IEEE Trans. PAMI 17, 201–207 (1995)Google Scholar
- 2.Arbter, K., Snyder, W.E., Burkhardt, H., Hirzinger, G.: Application of Affine-Invariant Fourier Descriptor to Recognition of 3-D Objects. IEEE Trans. PAMI 12(7), 640–647 (1990)Google Scholar
- 3.Wu, M.-F., Sheu, H.-T.: Representation of 3D Surfaces by Two-Variable Fourier Descriptors. IEEE Trans. PAMI 20(8), 858–863 (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Nassery, P., Faez, K.: Signature Pattern Recognition Using Pse udo Zernike Moments and a Fuzzy Logic Classifier. In: Proc. 1996 International Conference on Image Processing, September 1996, vol. 1, pp. 197–200 (1996)Google Scholar
- 8.Latecki, L.J., Lakamper, R.: Shape Similarity Measure Based on Correspondence of Visual Parts. IEEE Trans. PAMI 22(10), 1185–1190 (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Arkin, M., Chew, L.P., Huttenlocher, D.P., Kedem, K., Mitchell, J.S.B.: An Efficiently Computable Metric for Comparing Polygonal Shapes. IEEE Trans. PAMI 13, 206–209 (1991)Google Scholar
- 10.Liu, H.-C., Srinath, M.D.: Partial Shape Classification Using Contour Matching in Distance Transformation. IEEE Trans. PAMI 12(11), 1072–1079 (1990)Google Scholar