Image Salt-Pepper Noise Elimination by Detecting Edges and Isolated Noise Points
It deals an algorithm for removing the impulse noise, which is also called salt-pepper noise, in this paper. By evaluating the absolute differences of intensity between each point and its neighbors, one can detect the edges, the isolated noise points and blocks. It needs to set up a set of simple rules to determine the corrupted pixels in a corrupted image. By successfully identifying the corrupted and uncorrupted pixels, especially for the pixels nearing the edges of a given image, one can eliminate random-valued impulse noise while preserving the detail of the image and its information of the edges. It shows, in the testing experiments, that it has a better performance for the algorithm than the other’s mentioned in the literatures.
KeywordsMean Square Error Median Filter Impulse Noise Central Pixel Noise Density
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Xutao, H.: Two-dimensional Digital Signal Processing II — Transformation and Median Filter. Science Press, Beijing (1985)Google Scholar
- 4.Turky, J.W.: Exploratory Data Analysis. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1971)Google Scholar
- 5.Pratt, W.K.: Median filtering, Semianual Report, Image Proc. Institute, Univ. of Southern California, pp.116–123 (1975) Google Scholar
- 9.Shutao, L., Yaonan, W.: Non-Linear Adaptive Removal of Salt and Pepper Noise from Images. Journal of Image and Graphics 12(5(a)) (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Manglem Singh, K., Bora, P.K.: Improved Rank Conditioned Median Filter for Removal of Impulse Noise from Images. In: ProceedingsTENCON 2000, vol. 1, pp. 557–560 (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Florencio, D.A.F., Schafer, R.W.: Decision–based median filter using local signal statistics. In: Proc. SPIE, vol. 2308, pp. 268–275 (1994)Google Scholar
- 13.Hardie, R.E., Barner, K.E.: Rank conditioned rank selection filters for signal restoration. IEEE IP 3(2), 192–206 (1994)Google Scholar
- 14.Abreu, E., Lightone, M., Ketal, M.S.: A new efficient approach for the removal of impulse noise from highly corrupted images. IEEE IP 5(6), 1012–1025 (1996)Google Scholar
- 15.Eng, H.-L., Ma, K.-K.: Noise adaptive soft-switching median filter for image denoising. In: IEEE International Conference on 2000 6, 2175–2178 (2000)Google Scholar