Adaptable Shared Workspace to Support Multiple Collaboration Paradigms
Several recent collaborative systems provide a room-based metaphor to represent shared workspaces that require use of multiple collaborative tools. These systems provide users with a fairly static usage paradigm of room-centered collaboration, requiring users to mold their collaborative activities to the paradigm rather than molding the paradigm to fit the requirements of their collaborative activities. In this paper, we propose a powerful and yet simple event-action based model, augmented with multi-user features, for room-based systems for providing a high degree of adaptability so that these systems can be adapted to provide support for a variety of collaborative facilities, such as call centers, transient rooms, paper reviewing rooms, and role-based collaboration, including facilities that are not necessarily anticipated by system designers. The model can be used by both system developers as well as by system administrators to customize a system to meet the requirements of their group tasks.
KeywordsCall Center Collaborative Activity Computer Support Cooperative Work Uniform Resource Locator Shared Workspace
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bentley, R., Dourish, P.: Medium versus mechanism: Supporting collaboration through customization. In: Proc. 4th European Conf. on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, September 1995, pp. 133–148 (1995)Google Scholar
- 2.Boyle, M., Edwards, C., Greenberg, S.: The effects of filtered video on awareness and privacy. In: Proc. 8th Conf. on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, Philadelphia, PA, December 2000, pp. 1–10 (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Curtis, P., Nichols, D.: Muds grow up: social virtual reality in the real world. In: Proc. 3rd International Conf. on Cyberspace (1993)Google Scholar
- 4.Fitzpatrick, G., Tolone, W., Kaplan, S.: Work, locales and distributed social worlds. In: Proc. 4th European Conf. on CSCW, September 1995, pp. 1–16 (1995)Google Scholar
- 5.Lee, J.H., Prakash, A., Jaeger, T., Wu, G.: Supporting multi-user, multi-applet workspaces in CBE. In: Proc. 6th Conf. on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, Boston, MA, November 1996, pp. 344–353 (1996)Google Scholar
- 6.Roseman, M., Greenberg, S.: Building flexible groupware through open protocols. In: Proc. ACM Conf. on Organizaional Computing Systems, August 1993, pp. 55–65 (1993)Google Scholar
- 7.Roseman, M., Greenberg, S.: TeamRooms: Network places for collaboration. In: Proc. 6th Conf. on CSCW, Boston, MA, November 1996, pp. 325–333 (1996)Google Scholar