A Bitmap Index for Multidimensional Data Cubes
Multidimensional arrays can be used to store multidimensional data cubes. One way of storing such array onto disk is to partition the array into a set of small chunks that can fit in a disk block. Chunks are usually of the same side length and are compressed before being stored, in order to achieve high query processing speed and space utilization. This scheme is called the chunk-based cube storage scheme. Although the scheme is considered to be a position based storage scheme, the chunks cannot be retrieved fast without using indexes since they are compressed. In this paper, we propose a bitmap index for such a storage scheme. The index can be constructed with the data cube in parallel. The relative positions of the chunk retrieval can be done in constant time. We placed in an index block as many chunks as possible so that the number of index searches is minimized for OLAP operations such as slice, dice, and range queries. We evaluated the proposed index by comparing it with existing multidimensional indexes such as UB-tree and grid file in terms of time and space.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bayer, R.: The Universal B-Tree for Multidimensional Indexing. Technische Universitat München, TUM-I9637 (November 1996)Google Scholar
- 2.Chan, C.-Y., Ioannidis, Y.E.: Bitmap index design and evaluation. In: Proc. ACM SIGMOD, June 1998, pp. 355–366 (1998)Google Scholar
- 3.Freestone, M.: The bang file: A new kind of grid file. In: Proc. ACM SIGMOD, pp. 260–269 (1987)Google Scholar
- 4.Guttman, A.: R-Trees: A Dynamic Index Structure for Spatial Searching. In: Proc. ACM SIGMOD, Boston, pp. 47–57 (1984)Google Scholar
- 5.Kim, M., Lim, Y.: A Z index based MOLAP Storage Scheme. Journal of Korea Information Science Society 29(4), 262–273 (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Kim, W., Kim, M.: Performance and Scalability in Knowledge Engineering: Issues and Solutions. Journal of Object-Oriented Programming 12(7), 39–43 (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Thomsen, E.: OLAP Solutions: Building Multidimensional Information Systems. John Wiley & Sons, New York (1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Whang, K.-Y., Krishnamurthy, R.: The Multilevel Grid File - A Dynamic Hierarchical Multidimensional File Structure. In: DSFAA, pp. 449–459 (1991)Google Scholar
- 10.Zhao, Y., Deshpande, P., Naughton, J.: An Array-Based Algorithm for Simultaneous Multidimensional Aggregates. In: Proc. ACM SIGMOD, pp. 159–170 (1997)Google Scholar