Supporting Contract Execution through Recommended Workflows
This paper extends our previous research on e-contracts by investigating the problem of deriving business process specifications from business contracts. The aim here is to reduce the risk of behaviour leading to contract violations by encouraging the parties to a contract to follow execution paths that satisfy the policies in the contract. Our current contract monitoring prototype provides run-time checking of policies in contracts. If this system was linked to workflow systems that automate the associated business processes in the contract parties, a finer grain of control and early warning could be provided. We use an example contract to illustrate the different views and the problems of deriving business processes from contracts. We propose a set of heuristics that can be used to facilitate this derivation.
KeywordsBusiness Process Work Order Business Contract Asset Operator Contract Violation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Milosevic, Z., Dromey, G.: On Expressing and Monitoring Behaviour in Contracts. In: EDOC 2002 Conference, Lausanne, Switzerland (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.iMany, http://www.imany.com
- 3.DiCarta, http://www.dicarta.com
- 4.UpsideContracts, http://www.upsidecontract.com
- 5.Luckham, D.: The Power of Events. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Oracle Contracts, http://www.oracle.com/appsnet/products/contracts/content.html
- 7.Linington, P., Milosevic, Z., Cole, J., Gibson, S., Kulkarni, S., Neal, S.: A unified behavioural model and a contract for extended enterprise. Data Knowledge and Engineering Journal, Elsevier Science (to appear)Google Scholar
- 8.Neal, S., Cole, J., Linington, P.F., Milosevic, Z., Gibson, S., Kulkarni, S.: Identifying requirements for Business Contract Language: A Monitoring Perspective. In: IEEE EDOC 2003 Conference Proceedings (September 2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Action Technologies, Inc., http://www.actiontech.com
- 11.van den Heuvel, W.-J., Weigand, H.: Cross-Organizational Workflow Integration using Contracts, http://jeffsutherland.org/oopsla2000/vandenheuvel/vandenheuvel.htm
- 12.Damen, Z., Derks, W., Duitshof, M., Ensing, H.: Business-to-Business E-commerce in a Logistics Domain., http://www.crossflow.org/ (link to Publications)
- 13.Dralasoft Inc Press Release, http://www.dralasoft.com/news/dicarta.html