An Experimental Study of the Ant Colony System for the Period Vehicle Routing Problem
In this paper, a new Ant System approach to the Period Vehicle Routing Problem (PVRP) is presented. In PVRP, visit days have to be assigned to customers in order to find efficient routes over the period. We suggest a new technique for defining the initial solution and a novel strategy to update the pheromone trails that is especially suited for solving large scale problems. An illustrative example for a waste collection system involving 202 localities in the municipality of Viseu, Portugal, demonstrates the effectiveness of the model.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Bullnheimer, B., Hartl, R.F., Strauss, C.: A new rank based version of the ant system: a computational study. Working Paper No.1,SFB Adaptative Information Systems and Modelling in Economics and Management Science, Vienna (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Colorni, A., Dorigo, M., Maniezzo, V.: Distributed optimization by ant colonies. In: Varela, F., Bourgine, P. (eds.) Proc.Europ. Conf. Artificial Life, pp. 134–142. Elsevier, Amsterdam (1992)Google Scholar
- 10.Doerner, K.F., Gronalt, M., Hartl, R.F., Reimann, M.: Optimizing pickup and delivery operations in a hub network with ant systems. POM Working Paper 02/2000, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria (2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Osman, H.: Metastrategy simulated annealing and tabu search algorithms for vehicle routing problem. Annals of Opertations Research 41, 412–451 (1993)Google Scholar
- 12.Reimann, M., Stummer, M., Doerner, K.: A savings based ant system for the vehicle routing problem. In: Proc. of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, pp. 1317–1362 (2002)Google Scholar
- 14.Vianna, D., Ochi, L., Drummond, L.: A parallel hybrid evolutionary metaheuristic for the period vehicle routing problem. In: Proc. IPDPS (1999)Google Scholar