Decoupled Interconnection of Distributed Memory Models
In this paper we present a framework to formally describe and study the interconnection of distributed shared memory systems. In our models we minimize the dependencies between the original systems and the interconnection system (that is, they are decoupled) and consider systems implemented with invalidation and propagation.
We first show that only fast memory models can be interconnected. We then show that causal and pRAM systems can be interconnected if they fulfill some restrictions, and for these cases, we present protocols to interconnect them. Finally, we present a protocol to interconnect cache systems.
KeywordsShared Memory Application Process Memory Model Consistency Model Interconnection System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Adve, S.V.: Designing Memory Consistency Models for Shared-Memory Multiprocessors. PhD thesis, University of Wisconsin-Madison (1993)Google Scholar
- 2.Ahamad, M., Bazzi, R., John, R., Kohli, P., Neiger, G.: The power of processor consistency. In: Proceedings of the 5th ACM Symposium on Parallel Algorithms and Architectures, pp. 251–260 (1993)Google Scholar
- 5.Attiya, H., Welch, J.: Distributed Computing: Fundamentals, Simulations, and Advanced Topics. McGraw-Hill, New York (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Bershad, B.N., Zekauskas, M.J., Sawdon, W.A.: The Midway distributed shared memory system. In: COMPCON (1993)Google Scholar
- 8.Cholvi, V.: Formalizing Memory Models. PhD thesis, Department of Computer Science, Polytechnic University of Valencia (December 1994)Google Scholar
- 10.Fernández, A., Jiménez, E., Cholvi, V.: On the interconnection of causal memory systems. In: Proceedings of the 19th Annual ACM Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing, July 2000, ACM, New York (2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Gharachorloo, K., Lenoski, D., Laudon, J., Gibbons, P., Gupta, A., Hennessy, J.: Memory consistency and event ordering in scalable shared-memory multiprocessors. In: Proceedings of the 17th Annual International Symposium on Computer Architecture, May 1990, pp. 15–26. ACM, New York (1990)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Goodman, J.R.: Cache consistency and sequential consistency. Technical Report 61, IEEE Scalable Coherence Interface Working Group (March 1989)Google Scholar
- 13.Iftode, L., Singh, J., Li, K.: Scope consistency: A bridge between release consistency and entry consistency. In: Proc. of the 8th Annual ACM Symposium on Parallel Algorithms and Architectures (1996)Google Scholar
- 14.Jiménez, E., Fernández, A., Cholvi, V.: Decoupled Interconnection of Distributed Memory Models. Technical Report TR-GSYC-2003-2, Universidad Rey Juan Carlos (October 2003), http://gsyc.escet.urjc.es/publicaciones/tr
- 15.Keleher, P.: Distributed Shared Memory Using Lazy Consistency. PhD thesis, Rice University (1994)Google Scholar
- 18.Lipton, R.J., Sandberg, J.S.: PRAM: A scalable shared memory. Technical Report CS-TR-180-88, Princeton University, Department of Computer Science (September 1988)Google Scholar