A Lower-Bound Algorithm for Load Balancing in Real-Time Systems
We study the problem of finding a safe and tight lower-bound on the load-balancing objective often found in real-time systems. Our approach involves the formulation of the Multiple Bounded Change-Making Problem which we efficiently solve by using a new symmetry-breaking algorithm. An experimental evaluation shows that the computed lower-bound is optimal in more than 70% of the cases and is able to find more than four times as many decidedly optimal solutions.
KeywordsSchedule Problem Load Balance Knapsack Problem Task Assignment Constraint Programming
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Chen, G.-H., Yur, J.-S.: A branch-and-bound-with-underestimates algorithm for the task assignment problem with precedence constraint. In: Proc. of the IEEE Int’l Conf. on Distributed Computing Systems, Paris, France, May 28-June 1, pp. 494–501 (1990)Google Scholar
- 6.Ekelin, C., Jonsson, J.: A CLP framework for allocation and scheduling in embedded real-time systems. Tech. Rep. 01-12, Dept. of Computer Engineering, Chalmers University of Technology, S-412 96 Göteborg, Sweden (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Ekelin, C., Jonsson, J.: Evaluation of search heuristics for embedded system scheduling problems. In: Proc. of the Int’l Conference on Principles and Practice of Constraint Programming, Paphos, Cyprus, November 26-December 1, pp. 640–654 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Ekelin, C., Jonsson, J.: A lower-bound algorithm for minimizing network communication in real-time systems. In: Proc. of the Int’l Conference on Parallel Processing, Vancouver, Canada, August 18-21, pp. 343–351 (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Frisch, A., Hnich, B., Kiziltan, Z., Miguel, I., Walsh, T.: Global constraints for lexicographic orderings. In: Proc. of the Int’l Conference on Principles and Practice of Constraint Programming, Ithaca, New York, September 2002, pp. 93–108 (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Johnson, D.S.: Near-Optimal Bin-Packing Algorithms. Ph.D. thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1974)Google Scholar
- 11.Korf, R.E.: A new algorithm for optimal bin packing. In: Proc. of the National Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Edmonton, Canada, July 2002, pp. 731–736 (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Kulanoot, A.: Algorithms for Some Hard Knapsack Problems. Ph.D. Thesis, School of Mathematics and Statistics, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, Australia (January 2000)Google Scholar
- 13.Intelligent Systems Laboratory. SICStus Prolog User’s Manual. Swedish Institute of Computer Science (1995) Google Scholar
- 15.Milano, M., van Hoeve, W.J.: Reduced cost-based ranking for generating promising subproblems. In: Proc. of the Int’l Conference on Principles and Practice of Constraint Programming, Ithaca, New York, September 2002, pp. 1–16 (2002)Google Scholar