Smart Profile: A New Method for Minimising SIP Messages
SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) is a text-based protocol engineered for high data rate links. As a result, SIP messages size have not been optimised. This is problematic, particularly with the planned usage of this protocol in wireless handsets as part of 2.5G and 3G cellular networks. With low bit rate IP connectivity or signalling channel, the transmission delays for call setup and feature invocation are significant. In this paper, we propose a new approach called ”Smart Profile” where SIP messages are minimised in the access network for performance optimisation and completely reconstructed at the edge. The message reconstruction is based on SIP call profile that contains session attributes extracted from the user and terminal profiles. We discuss about Smart Profile implementation and focus on measuring its performance. Results and comparison with compression method show that Smart Profile solution is globally better.
KeywordsSession Initiation Protocol User Agent Proxy Server Virtual Home Environment User Agent Client
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Nortel Networks, A comparison between GERAN Packet-Switched call Setup using SIP and GSM Circuit-Switched call SetupGoogle Scholar
- 2.Meddahi, A., Afifi, H.: Improving SIP performance and scalability in a PSTN/3G framework. In: IEEE Networks 2002, Atlanta USA, August 2002, pp. 36–44 (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.ITU-T recommendation E.721: Network grade of service parameters and target values for circuit- switched services in the evolving ISDNGoogle Scholar
- 4.Eyers, T., Schulzrinne, H.: Predicting Internet Telephony Call Setup Delay. In: Proc. of First IP Telephony Workshop, Berlin (April 2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Shulzrinne, H., Narayanan, Lennox: SIPstone: Benchmarking SIP server performance (April 2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Meddahi, A., Vanwormhoudt, G.: SIP for e-learning services. In: IEEE ICT 2003, Papeete (February 2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Zouari, B., Pujolle, G., Afifi, H., Labiod, H., Urien, P.: A Novel Authentication Model Based on Secured IP Smart Cards. In: IEEE ICC 2003, Anchorage (May 2003)Google Scholar
- 8.The Virtual Home Environment, 3GPP TS 22.121 (2001) Google Scholar
- 9.Lankhorst, M.M., van Kranenburg, H., Salden, A., Peddemors, A.: Enabling technology for personalizing mobile services. In: HICSS 2002, Hawaii, pp. 1107–1114 (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.JSR-000032 JAIN SIP Specification, Java Community ProcessGoogle Scholar