Migration to the New Internet – Supporting Inter Operability Between IPv4 and IPv6 Networks
The evolution of communications towards a single unified network based on IP, brings new issues to the Internet, as a new business paradigm appears and an explosion in the number of users will continue. IPv6 will support this new Internet, but, in spite of its advantages, it will be expectable that it will coexist with IPv4 for a long time, due to the huge size of the Internet today.
The migration phase will play a central role in this process and special care has to be taken concerning inter-operability issues. From the existing set of inter-operability solutions, NAPT-PT is the most promising for the nearest future, as it efficiently uses network resources, without wasting the spare IPv4 addressing space.
This paper presents an Inter Working Unit based on NAPT-PT, which have been developed in GNU/Linux Operating System. Considerations about the IWU design are taken and functional and performance tests are described.
KeywordsRound Trip Time Internet Engineer Task Force Inter Operability IPv4 Address Network Address Translation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Deering, S., Hinden R.: Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) Specification. IETF RFC 2460 (December 1988) Google Scholar
- 2.Steering Committee of IPv6 Taskforce.: IP Overall Status. Deliverable 3.3 (October 2003) Google Scholar
- 3.Portugal - IPv6 Taskforce.: Home Page of Portugal IPv6 Taskforce, http://www.ipv6-tf.com/home.pt (2004)
- 4.IST IPv6 Cluster.: European IPv6 Research and Development Projects, http://www.ist-ipv6.org (2004)
- 5.Gilligan, R., Nordmark, E.: Transition Mechanisms for IPv6 Hosts and Routers. IETF RFC 2893 (August 2000) Google Scholar
- 6.Tsirtsis, G., Srisuresh, P.: Network Address Translation - Protocol Translation (NAT-PT). IETF RFC 2766 (February 2000) Google Scholar
- 7.Rao, S., et al.: Dissemination and Use Plan. Euro6IX, Deliverable 5.1 (March 2002) Google Scholar
- 8.Ralli, C., et al.: Specification of the Backbone Network Architecture. Euro6IX, Deliverable 2.2 (December 2002) Google Scholar
- 9.6TALK.: IPv6 Translator for Krv6, http://www.6talk.net (2004)