A Distributed Algorithm for Weighted Max-Min Fairness in MPLS Networks
We propose a novel distributed algorithm to achieve a weighted max-min sharing of the network capacity. We present the Weight Proportional Max-Min policy (WPMM) that supports a minimal rate requirement and an optional maximal rate constraint and allocates network bandwidth among all aggregates based on a weight associated with each one. Our algorithm achieves this policy for IP/MPLS networks using the RSVP-TE signalling protocol. It uses per-LSP accounting in each node to keep track of the state information of each LSP. It uses a novel explicit bottleneck link strategy and a different control architecture in which we update the control packet in the forward path. Simulations show that these two elements improve substantially the convergence time compared to algorithms designed for ATM networks.
KeywordsControl Packet Fair Share Rate Allocation Forward Path Fair Rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ATM Forum Technical Commitee. Traffic Management Specification - Version 4.0 (February 1996), ATM Forum/95-0013R13 Google Scholar
- 2.Awduche, D., Berger, L., Gan, D., Li, T., Srinivasan, V., Swallow, G.: RSVP-TE: Extensions to RSVP for LSP tunnels, RFC 3209 (December 2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Balon, S., Blanchy, F., Delcourt, O., Leduc, G., Mélon, L., Skivée, F.: Synthesis and recommendation for intra-domain traffic engineering. Technical Report ATRIUM Deliverable D3.3, University of Liège (Novembre 2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Berger, L., Gan, D., Swallow, G., Pan, P., Tommasi, F., Molendini, S.: RSVP Refresh Overhead Reduction Extensions. RFC 2961 (April 2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Chang, Y., Golmie, N., Siu, D.: A Rate-Based Flow Control Switch Design for ABR Service in an ATM Network. In: Twelfth International Conference on Computer Communication ICCC 1995 (August 1995)Google Scholar
- 7.Charny, A.: An algorithm for rate allocation in a packet-switching network with feedback. Technical Report MIT/LCS/TR-601 (1994) Google Scholar
- 9.Jain, R., Kalyanaraman, S., Goyal, R., Fahmy, S., Viswanathan, R.: ERICA switch algorithm: A complete description (August 1996), ATM Forum/96-1172Google Scholar
- 10.Le Boudec, J.Y., Radunovic, B.: A unified framework for max-min and min-max fairness with applications (October 2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Rosen, E., et al.: Multiprotocol label switching architecture (January 2001) RFC 3031Google Scholar