On Subspace Channel Estimation in Multipath SIMO and MIMO Channels
Earlier studies showed that iterative processing at receiver may significantly improve performance in wireless communications. In particular, performance of space-time block codes (STBC) extended for frequency selective channels may be notably improved by iterative channel estimation (ICE). On the other hand, the ICE at least doubles the receiver complexity that limits its implementation in handsets. In this paper we address non-iterative blind subspace estimation based on the second order statistics (SOS), which is simpler than the iterative receiver. Accuracy and robustness of the SOS (semi-)blind estimators with respect to different channel profiles are evaluated and compared to the ICE. Based on sensitivity analysis appropriate parameters for (semi-)blind estimators are selected. It is found that the SOS semi-blind subspace methods may approach accuracy (in terms of MSE) of the ICE.
KeywordsMean Square Error Channel Estimation Second Order Statistic Channel Impulse Response MIMO Channel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mattellini, G.-P., Kuchi, K., Ranta, P.: Space Time Block Codes for EDGE System. In: Proc. IEEE VTC-Fall, pp. 1235–1239 (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Al-Dhahir, N., Uysal, M., Georghiades, C.N.: Three Space-Time Block-Coding Schemes for Frequency-Selective Fading Channels with Application to EDGE. In: Proc. IEEE VTC-Fall, pp. 1834–1838 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Nefedov, N., Mattellini, G.-P.: Evaluation of Potential Transmit Diversity Schemes with Iterative Receivers in EDGE. In: Proc. IEEE PIMRC (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Tong, L., Xu, G., Kailath, T.: A New Approach to Blind Identification and Equalization of Multipath Channels. In: Proc. IEEE Asilomar Conf., pp. 856–860 (1991)Google Scholar
- 8.Tugnait, J., Huang, B.: Blind Estimation and Equalization of MIMO Channels via Multidelay Whitening. IEEE JSAC 19, 1507–1519 (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Boss, D., Kammeyer, K.-D., Petermann, T.: Is Blind Channel Estimation Feasible in Mobile Communications Systems. A Study Based on GSM. In: IEEE JSAC, October 1998, pp. 1479–1492 (1998)Google Scholar