Performance Evaluation of AODV Protocol over E-TDMA MAC Protocol for Wireless Ad Hoc Networks
In this paper, a new protocol for scheduling TDMA transmissions in a mobile ad hoc network has been considered. In this protocol, nodes may reserve time slots for unicast, multicast or broadcast transmissions. The protocol uses contention when generating the schedules, and its operation is distributed and concurrent, hence its operation is not affected by the network size but only by the node density. Consequently it is scalable and can be used in large networks. This protocol is termed E-TDMA (Evolutionary-TDMA). This last one is not based on the contention and there is a very little contention through another protocol for the MAC level that has been considered: Five Phase Reservation Protocol (FPRP). The protocol’s performance has been studied via simulation of a routing protocol (AODV) over E-TDMA MAC and the change of MAC parameters in order to evaluate the impact of MAC protocol over routing protocol has been evaluated.
KeywordsMobile Node Medium Access Control Medium Access Control Protocol Temporary Colour Broadcast Schedule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Royer, E.M., Perkins, C., Das, S.R.: Quality of Service for Ad Hoc On- Demand Distance Vector Routing. In Internet-Draft, draft-ietf-manet-aodvqos-00.txt (Work in Progress) (July 2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Zhu, C.: Medium Access Control and Quality-of-Service Routing for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. PhD thesis, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20906 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Zhu, C., Corson, M.S.: A five phase reservation protocol (FPRP) for mobile ad hoc networks. In: Proc. IEEE INFOCOM (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Zhu, C., Corson, M.S.: QoS Routing for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. In: INFOCOM 2002 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Ramanathan, S.: A Unifed Framework and Algorithm for (T/F/C)DMA Channel Assignment in Wireless Networks. In: Proc. INFOCOM, Kobe, Japan (April 1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Perkins, C., Royer, E.M., Das, S.R.: Ad Hoc On-Demand Distance Vector routing. In Internet-Draft, draft-ietf-manet-aodv-06.txt (July 2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Royer, E.M., Toh, C.-K.: A review of current routing protocols for ad hoc mobile wireless networks. IEEE Personal Communications (2), 46–55 (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Fall, K., Varadhan, K. (eds.): Ucb/lbnl/vint Network Simulator–ns(version2), http://wwwmash.cs.berkeley.edu/ns/