Novel Wavelength Assignment Algorithm for Intelligent Optical Networks Based on Hops Counts and Relative Capacity Loss
This paper focuses on the routing and wavelength assignment (RWA) problem in intelligent and transparent optical networks operating under no wavelength conversion constraint for end-to-end connections in distributed environments. We propose and demonstrate a novel wavelength assignment algorithm based on hops counts and relative capacity loss, called Modified Distributed Relative Capacity Loss (M-DRCL). It consists of grouping end-to-end routes with the same number of hops in M-DRCL tables. Dissimilar to the DRCL algorithm, M-DRCL shows a new strategy of wavelength assignment, including the destination node on its analysis and assuming one, more than one, or even all potential routes from source node to destination nodes combined by the same number of hops on its tables. We present simulation results of dynamic traffic in a hypothetical meshed network in terms of blocking probabilities as a function of network load. We show that our M-DRCL algorithm outperforms the traditional WA algorithms.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Green, P.: Progress in Optical Networking. IEEE Commun. Mag., 54–61 (January 2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Zhang, Z., Fu, J., Guo, D., Zhang, L.: Lightpath Routing for Intelligent Optical Networks. IEEE Network, 28–35 (July 2001)Google Scholar
- 4.ITU-T Recommendation G.8080, Architecture for the Automatically Switched Optical Networks (2001) Google Scholar
- 5.ITU-T Recommendation G.7715, Architecture and Requirements for Routing in the Automatically Switched Optical Networks (2002) Google Scholar
- 6.Zhang, X., Qiao, C.: Wavelength assignment for dynamic traffic in multi-fiber WDM networks. In: Proc. 7th ICCCN, October 1998, pp. 479–485 (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Zang, H., Jue, J., Mukherjee, B.: A Review of Routing and Wavelength Assignment Approaches for Wavelength-Routed Optical WDM Networks. Optical Networks Magazine, 47–60 (January 2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Barry, R.A., Subramaniam, S.: The MAX-SUM Wavelength Assignment Algorithm for WDM Ring Networks. In: Proc. OFC 1997 (February 1997)Google Scholar