An Adaptive Routing Algorithm for Intelligent and Transparent Optical Networks
In this paper we propose an adaptive routing strategy, called Weighted Link Capacity (WLC), as a candidate solution for the routing problem. The WLC algorithm consists on choosing the path that minimizes the cost of network resources, whilst, in parallel, maintaining the network traffic as balanced as possible. Its strategy is based on the number of hops, link length and free link capacity. We assume two constraints to block a connection: first, when there is no free path available; second, when the distance of the path exceeds the optical transmission reach of optical equipments without 3R regeneration, which results in a bit error rate above an acceptable limit (e.g., 10− − 12). The simulation results of dynamic traffic in two hypothetical meshed networks are shown in terms of blocking probability as a function of network load. We demonstrate that WLC outperforms the traditional routing algorithms.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Green, P.: Progress in Optical Networking. IEEE Commun. Mag., 54–61 (January 2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Zhang, Z., Fu, J., Guo, D., Zhang, L.: Lightpath Routing for Intelligent Optical Networks. IEEE Network, 28–35 (July 2001)Google Scholar
- 4.ITU-T Recommendation G.8080, Architecture for the Automatically Switched Optical Networks (2001) Google Scholar
- 5.ITU-T Recommendation G.7715, Architecture and Requirements for Routing in the Automatically Switched Optical Networks (2002) Google Scholar
- 7.Zang, H., Jue, J., Mukherjee, B.: A Review of Routing and Wavelength Assignment Approaches for Wavelength-Routed Optical WDM Networks. Optical Networks Magazine, 47–60 (January 2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Hsu, C., Liu, T., Huang, N.: On Adaptive Routing in Wavelength-Routed Networks. Optical Networks Magazine, 15–24 (January 2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Martins-Filho, J.F., Bastos-Filho, C.J.A., Oliveira, S.C., Arantes, E.A.J., Fontana, E., Nunes, F.D.: Novel Routing Algorithm for Optical Networks Based on Noise Figure and Physical Impairments. In: Proc. of the European Conference on Optical Communications – ECOC 2003, Rimini., Italy, September 2003, vol. 3, pp. 856–857, Paper We4.P.150 (2003)Google Scholar