Adaptive QoS Management for Regulation of Fairness Among Internet Applications
Emerging multimedia applications in the Internet characterizes the trend of service convergence in one only infrastructure. These new types of media can, however, be harmful to other flows sharing the same infrastructure, such as TCP-based applications. The most common problem is fairness, due to the unresponsive behavior of UDP flows. This article presents a fairness regulation scheme based on an adaptive QoS management architecture, where nodes are responsible for certain level of management operations, like surveillance and parameter tuning. An adaptive meta-behavior is defined in order to adjust scheduling parameters according to UDP/TCP traffic ratio.
KeywordsAdaptive Management Management Mechanism Fairness Index Random Early Detection Congestion Control Mechanism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brown, P.: Resource sharing of TCP connections with different round trip times. In: Proc. of IEEE INFOCOM 2000, Tel Aviv, Israel, vol. 3, pp. 1734–1741 (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.de Castro, M.F., M’hamed, A., Gaïti, D.: Providing core-generated feedback to adaptive media on actively managed networks. In: Proc. of IEEE/SBrT International Telecommunications Symposium (ITS 2002), Natal, Brazil (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Hong, D.P., Albuquerque, C., Oliveira, C., Suda, T.: Evaluating the impact of emerging streaming media applications on TCP/IP performance. IEEE Communications Magazine, 76–82 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Braden, B., Clark, D.D., Crowcroft, J., Davie, B.S., Deering, S.E., Estrin, D., Floyd, S., Jacobson, V.: Recommendations on queue management and congestion avoidance in the Internet. RFC 2309, Internet Engineering Task Force (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.ITU-T: BISDN Reference Model. ITU-T Recommendation I.321 (1992) Google Scholar
- 7.Intel IXP1200: (Intel IXP1200 Network Processor Homepage), http://www.intel.com/design/network/products/npfamily/ixp1200.htm
- 8.Khosravi, H., Anderson, T.W. (eds.): Requirements for separation of IP control and forwarding. RFC 3654, Internet Engineering Task Force (2003) Google Scholar
- 11.Vegesna, S.: IP Quality of Service. Cisco Press (2001)Google Scholar