Priority Telephony System with Pricing Alternatives
Dynamic pricing schemes in telecommunication networks were traditionally employed to create users’ incentives in such a way that the overall utilization is improved and profits are maximized. However, such schemes create frustration to users, since there is no guarantee that they would get services at the anticipated prices. In this paper, we propose a pricing scheme for priority telephony systems that provides alternatives to users. Users can choose between a) a dynamic price scheme that provides a superior quality of service or b) a fixed low price with acceptable performance degradation. Our results verify that the proposed pricing scheme improves the overall system utilization and yet guarantees users’ satisfaction.
KeywordsArrival Rate Price Scheme Dynamic Price Priority Queue Call Admission Control
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Falkner, M.: A user’s perspective on Connection Admission Control: Integrating Traffic Shaping, Effective Bandwidths and Pricing. Doctoral thesis at Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada (May 12, 2000) Google Scholar
- 2.Fitkov-Norris, E.D., Khanifar, A.: Dynamic Pricing in Mobile Communication Systems. In: First International Conference on 3G Mobile Communication Technologies, pp. 416–420 (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Viterbo, E., Chiasserini, C.F.: Dynamic Pricing for connection-oriented services in wireless networks. In: 12th IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications, vol. 1, pp. A-68–A-72 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Patek, S.D., Campos-Nanez, E.: Pricing of dialup services: an example of congestiondependent pricing in the Internet. In: Proc. of the 39th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, vol. 3, pp. 2296–2301 (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Odlyzko, A.M.: Paris Metro Pricing for the Internet. In: Proc. ACM Conference on Electronic Commerce, pp. 140–147 (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Hou, J., Yang, J., Papavassiliou, S.: Integration of Pricing with Call Admission Control for Wireless Networks. In: 54th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, vol. 3, pp. 1344–1348 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Yaipairoj, S., Harmantzis, F.: Dynamic Pricing with “Alternatives” for Mobile Networks. In: IEEE Wireless Communication and Networking Conference (2004) Google Scholar
- 9.Peha, J.M.: Dynamic Pricing as Congestion Control in ATM Networks. In: Global Telecommunications Conference, vol. 3, pp. 1367–1137 (1997)Google Scholar