Phase Estimation and Phase Ambiguity Resolution by Message Passing
Several code-aided algorithms for phase estimation have recently been proposed. While some of them are ad-hoc, others are derived in a systematic way. The latter can be divided into two different classes: phase estimators derived from the expectation-maximization (EM) principle and estimators that are approximations of the sum-product message passing algorithm. In this paper, the main differences and similarities between these two classes of phase estimation algorithms are outlined and their performance and complexity is compared. Furthermore, an alternative criterion for phase ambiguity resolution is presented and compared to an EM based approach proposed earlier.
KeywordsMessage Passing Phase Estimation LDPC Code Factor Graph Phase Estimator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Noels, N., et al.: Turbo synchronization: an EM algorithm interpretation. In: International Conference on Communications 2003, Anchorage, Alaska, May 11-15, pp. 2933–2937 (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Nuriyev, R., Anastasopoulos, A.: Analysis of joint iterative decoding and phase estimation for the noncoherent AWGN channel, using density evolution. In: Proc. 2002 IEEE Information Theory Workshop, Lausanne, Switzerland, June 30-July 5, p. 168 (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Dauwels, J., Loeliger, H.-A.: Phase Estimation by Message Passing. In: IEEE International Conference on Communications, ICC 2004, Paris, France, June 20– 24 (2004) (to appear)Google Scholar
- 4.Colavolpe, G., Caire, G.: Iterative Decoding in the Presence of Strong Phase Noise. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Differential and Noncoherent Wireless Communications (to appear)Google Scholar
- 5.Wymeersch, H., Moeneclaey, M.: Code-aided phase and timing ambiguity resolution for AWGN channels. In: The IASTED International Conference, Signal and Image Processing (SIP-2003), Honolulu, Hawaii (August 2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Dempster, A.P., Laird, N.M., Rubin, D.B.: Maximum likelihood from incomplete data via the EM algorithm. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society 39(1) Series B, 1–38 (1977)Google Scholar
- 7.Loeliger, H.-A.: An introduction to factor graphs. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, 28–41 (January 2004)Google Scholar