Adaptive Decision Feedback Multiuser Detectors with Recurrent Neural Networks for DS-CDMA in Fading Channels
In this work we propose adaptive decision feedback (DF) multiuser detectors (MUDs) for DS-CDMA systems using recurrent neural networks (RNN). A DF CDMA receiver structure is presented with dynamically driven RNNs in the feedforward section and finite impulse response (FIR) linear filters in the feedback section for performing interference cancellation. A stochastic gradient (SG) algorithm is developed for estimation of the parameters of the proposed receiver structure. A comparative analysis of adaptive minimum mean squared error (MMSE) receivers operating with SG algorithms is carried out for linear and DF receivers with FIR filters and neural receiver structures with and without DF. Simulation experiments including fading channels show that the DF neural MUD outperforms DF MUDs with linear FIR filters, linear receivers and the neural receiver without interference cancellation.
KeywordsAdditive White Gaussian Noise Minimum Mean Square Error Recurrent Neural Network Rayleigh Fading Channel Multiuser Detector
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Physical Layer Standard for CDMA2000 Spread Spectrum Systems (Release C), Telecommunications Industry Association, TIA/EIA/IS- 2002.2-C (May 2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Aazhang, B., Paris, B.P., Orsak, G.C.: Neural Networks for Multiuser Detection in Code- Division-Multiple-Access Communications. IEEE Transactions on Communications 40(7) (July 1992)Google Scholar
- 3.Mitra, U., Poor, H.V.: Neural Network Techniques for Adaptive Multi-user Demodulation. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas of Communications 12(9) (December 1994)Google Scholar
- 4.Teich, W.G., Seidl, M., Nold, M.: Multiuser Detection for DS-CDMA Communication Systems based on Recurrent Neural Networks Structures. In: Proc. IEEE ISSSTA 1998, Sun City, South Africa, September 2-4, pp. 863–867 (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.de Lamare, R.C., Sampaio-Neto, R.: Analysis of Adaptive Multiuser Receivers for DSCDMA using Recurrent Neural Networks. In: Proc. SBrT/IEEE International Telecommunications Symposium (September 2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Woodward, G., Ratasuk, R., Honig, M., Rapajic, P.: Multistage decision-feedback detection for DS-CDMA. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Communications (ICC) (June 1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Haykin, S.: Adaptive Filter Theory, 3rd edn. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1996)Google Scholar
- 9.Rappaport, T.S.: Wireless Communications. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1996)Google Scholar