Rayleigh Fading Multiple Access Channel Without Channel State Information
In this paper we determine bounds of the capacity region of a two-user multiple-access channel with Rayleigh fading when neither the transmitters nor the receiver has channel state information (CSI). We assume that the fading coefficients as well as the additive noise are zero-mean complex Gaussian and there is an average power constraint at the channel input for both senders. Results that we get show that the lower (inner) and the upper (outer) bound of the capacity region are quite close for low and high signal-to-noise ratio (SNR). Surprisingly, the boundary of the capacity region is achieved by time sharing among users, which is not the case for fading channels with perfect CSI at the receiver. As an additional result we derive a closed form expression for the mutual information if the input is on-off binary.
KeywordsMultiple-access channel capacity region Rayleigh fading channel state information volume of the capacity region
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Marina, N.: Successive Decoding, Ph.D. thesis, School of Computer and Communication Sciences, École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Lausanne (2004) Google Scholar
- 2.Marina, N.: On successive decoding without channel state information. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Telecommunications, Tehran (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Abou-Faycal, I.C., Trott, M.D., Shamai (Shitz), S.: The capacity of discrete-time memoryless Rayleigh-fading channels. IEEE Trans. on Information Theory 47(4) (May 2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Abramowitz, M., Stegun, I.A.: Handbook of Mathematical Functions. Dover, New York (1965)Google Scholar
- 6.Lapidoth, A., Moser, S.M.: Capacity bounds via duality with applications to multi-antenna systems on flat fading channels. IEEE Trans. on Information Theory 49(10) (October 2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Marzetta, T., Hochwald, B.: Capacity of a mobile multiple-antenna communication link in Rayleigh flat fading. IEEE Trans. on Information Theory 45(1) (January 1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Shamai (Shitz), S., Marzetta, T.L.: Multiuser capacity in block fading with no channel state information. IEEE Trans. on Information Theory 48(4) (April 2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Taricco, G., Elia, M.: Capacity of fading channel with no side information. Electronic Letters 33(16) (July 1997)Google Scholar