A Low-Power Multithreaded Processor for Baseband Communication Systems
Embedded digital signal processors for baseband communication systems have stringent design constraints including high computational bandwidth, low power consumption, and low interrupt latency. Furthermore, these processors should be compiler-friendly, so that code for them can quickly be developed in a high-level language. This paper presents the design of a high-performance, low-power digital signal processor for baseband communication systems. The processor uses token triggered threading, SIMD vector processing, and powerful compound instructions to provide real-time baseband processing capabilities with very low power consumption. Using a super-computer class vectorizing compiler, the processor achieves real-time performance on a 2Mbps WCDMA transmission system.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Tullsen, D.M., Eggers, S.J., Levy, H.M.: Simultaneous Multithreading: Maximizing onchip Parallelism. In:22nd Annual International Symposium on Computer Architecture, pp.392-403 (June 1995)Google Scholar
- 3.Glossner, J., Raja, T., Hokenek, E., Moudgill, M.: A Multithreaded Processor Architecture for SDR. The Proceedings of the Korean Institute of Communication Sciences 19(11), 70–84 (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Smith, B.J.: The Architecture of HEP. In: Kowalik, J.S. (ed.) Parallel MIMD Computation: HEP Supercomputer and Its Applications, pp. 41–55. MIT Press, Cambridge (1985)Google Scholar
- 8.Seng, J.S., Tullsen, D.M., Cai, G.Z.N.: Power-Sensitive Multithreaded Architecture.In: International Conference on Computer Design, pp.199-208 (September 2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Sebot, J., Drach, N.: SIMD Extensions: Reducing Power Consumption on a Superscalar Processor for Multimedia Applications. Cool Chips IV (April 2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Lee, R.B.: Subword Permutation Instructions for Two-Dimensional Multimedia Processing in MicroSIMD Architectures.In: Proceedings of the IEEE 11th International Conference on Application-Specific Systems, Architectures and Processor, pp.3-14 (July 2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Parhami, B.: Computer Arithmetic: Algorithms and Hardware Designs. Oxford University Press, New York (2000)Google Scholar