Mining Diagnostic Taxonomy Using Interval-Based Similarity from Clinical Databases
- 631 Downloads
Experts’ reasoning in which selects the final diagnosis from many candidates consists of hierarchical differential diagnosis. In other words, candidates gives a sophisticated hiearchical taxonomy, usally described as a tree. In this paper, the characteristics of experts’ rules are closely examined from the viewpoint of hiearchical decision steps and and a new approach to rule mining with extraction of diagnostic taxonomy from medical datasets is introduced. The key elements of this approach are calculation of the characterization set of each decision attribute (a given class) and the similarities between characterization sets. From the relations between similarities, tree-based taxonomy is obtained, which includes enough information for diagnostic rules.
KeywordsMedical Expert Clinical Database Decision Attribute Target Concept Rule Induction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Clark, P., Niblett, T.: The CN2 Induction Algorithm. Machine Learning 3, 261–283 (1989)Google Scholar
- 3.Everitt, B.S.: Cluster Analysis, 3rd edn., John Wiley & Son, London (1996)Google Scholar
- 4.Michalski, R.S., Mozetic, I., Hong, J., Lavrac, N.: The Multi-Purpose Incremental Learning System AQ15 and its Testing Application to Three Medical Domains. In: Proceedings of the fifth National Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 1041–1045. AAAI Press, Menlo Park (1986)Google Scholar
- 5.Pawlak, Z.: Rough Sets. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (1991)Google Scholar
- 6.Quinlan, J.R.: C4.5 - Programs for Machine Learning, Morgan Kaufmann, Palo Alto (1993)Google Scholar
- 7.Shavlik, J.W., Dietterich, T.G.: Readings in Machine Learning. Morgan Kaufmann, Palo Alto (1990)Google Scholar
- 8.Skowron, A., Grzymala-Busse, J.: From rough set theory to evidence theory. In: Yager, R., Fedrizzi, M., Kacprzyk, J. (eds.) Advances in the Dempster-Shafer Theory of Evidence, pp. 193–236. John Wiley & Sons, New York (1994)Google Scholar
- 10.Tsumoto, S.: Extraction of Experts’ Decision Rules from Clinical Databases using Rough Set Model Intelligent Data Analysis, vol. 2(3) (1998)Google Scholar
- 11.Tsumoto, S.: Extraction of Hierarchical Decision Rules from Clinical Databases using Rough Sets. Information Sciences (2003) (in print)Google Scholar