Data Decomposition and Decision Rule Joining for Classification of Data with Missing Values
In this paper we present a new approach to handling incomplete information and classifier complexity reduction. We describe a method, called D3RJ, that performs data decomposition and decision rule joining to avoid the necessity of reasoning with missing attribute values. In the consequence more complex reasoning process is needed than in the case of known algorithms for induction of decision rules. The original incomplete data table is decomposed into sub-tables without missing values. Next, methods for induction of decision rules are applied to these sets. Finally, an algorithm for decision rule joining is used to obtain the final rule set from partial rule sets. Using D3RJ method it is possible to obtain smaller set of rules and next better classification accuracy than standard decision rule induction methods. We provide an empirical evaluation of the D3RJ method accuracy and model size on data with missing values of natural origin.
KeywordsDecision Rule Decision Table Decision Class Granular Computing Data Decomposition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bazan, J.G., Szczuka, M.S., Wróblewski, J.: A new version of rough set exploration system. In: , pp. 397–404Google Scholar
- 3.Komorowski, J., Pawlak, Z., Polkowski, L., Skowron, A.: Rough sets: A tutorial. In: Pal, S.K., Skowron, A. (eds.) Rough Fuzzy Hybridization. A New Trend in Decision Making, Singapore, pp. 3–98. Springer, Heidelberg (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Møllestad, T., Skowron, A.: A rough set framework for data mining of propositional default rules. In: Michalewicz, M., Raś, Z.W. (eds.) ISMIS 1996. LNCS, vol. 1079, pp. 448–457. Springer, Heidelberg (1996)Google Scholar
- 7.Nguyen, S.H.: Regularity Analysis and its Application in Data Mining. PhD thesis, Warsaw University, Faculty of Mathematics, Computer Science and Mechanics (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Nguyen, S.H., Skowron, A., Synak, P.: Discovery of data patterns with applications to decomposition and classification problems. In: Polkowski, L., Skowron, A. (eds.) Rough Sets in Knowledge Discovery 2: Applications, Case Studies and Software Systems, pp. 55–97. Physica-Verlag, Heidelberg (1998)Google Scholar
- 11.Skowron, A.: Boolean reasoning for decision rules generation. In: Komorowski, J., Raś, Z.W. (eds.) ISMIS 1993. LNCS, vol. 689, pp. 295–305. Springer, Heidelberg (1993)Google Scholar
- 12.Skowron, A., Rauszer, C.: The discernibility matrices and functions in information systems. In: Słowiński, R. (ed.) Intelligent Decision Support. Handbook of Applications and Advances in Rough Sets Theory, pp. 331–362. Kluwer, Dordrecht (1992)Google Scholar
- 13.Wang, H., Düntsh, I., Gediga, G., Skowron, A.: Hyperrelations in version space. Journal of Approximate Reasoning (2004) (to appear)Google Scholar