A Feature-Based Algorithm for Recognizing Gestures on Portable Computers
Pen gestures are a promising feature of pen-based user interface. Recently, as the supply of pen-based portable computers such as PDAs has increased, so has the usage of them. But they have not yet been fully exploited. In this paper we proposed a new gesture set which consists of eight gestures for editing electronic ink data and a feature-based recognition algorithm to identify gestures. We implemented GesEdit, the gesture-allowed ink editor on PDAs, to verify the proposed algorithm. A variety of experiments involving twenty users showed that the gesture recognition rate reached 99.6%. In addition, they showed that the algorithm was efficient as much portable devices as desktop computers.
KeywordsRecognition Rate Recognition Algorithm Gesture Recognition High Recognition Rate Average Recognition Rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Lopresti, D.P.: Ink as Multimedia Data. In: Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Informaion, Systems, Analysis and Synthesis, pp. 122–128 (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Hong, J.I., Landay, J.A.: SATIN: A Toolkit for informal ink-based applications. CHI Letters: UIST 2(2), 63–72 (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Long, A.C.: Improving Gestures and Interaction Techniques for Pen-Based User Interfaces. In: ACM CHI 1998, pp. 58–59 (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Christian, A.: Quill: A Gesture Design Tool for Pen-Based User Interfaces, Ph.D Thesis, University of California, Berkeley (2001) Google Scholar
- 8.Avraham, D., et al.: Guided Gesture Support in the Paper PDAs. In: ACM UIST 2001, pp. 197–198 (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Damm, C.H., Hansen, K.M., Thomsen, M.: Tool support for cooperative object-oriented design: Gesture based modeling on an electronic whiteboard. CHI Letters: Human Factors in Computing Systems 2(1), 518–525 (2000)Google Scholar