A Novel Approach for Contents-Based E-catalogue Image Retrieval Based on a Differential Color Edge Model
In this paper, we propose a new color edge model and color edge histogram descriptor for contents-based image retrieval. The edge descriptor proposed by MPEG-7 standard is a representative approach for the contents-based image retrieval using the edge histogram that is derived from a gray-level image. This paper introduces a novel method that extracts color edge information from spectral color images rather than monochrome images and a new color edge histogram descriptor for the contents-based image retrieval. The proposed color edge model is obtained in two phases. In the first phase, we characterize the R,G,B channel components as a linear map (the differential) and impose a statistical interpretation on this map by considering the behavior of the map as it applied to unit normed vectors in the second phase. As a result, the constructed edge model will be expressed in a statistical fashion and will provide a mechanism to determine the possibility of the edge existence. The color edge histogram based on the direction of the color edge model is subsequently applied to the contents-based e-catalogue image retrieval. For the evaluation, the results of image retrieval using the proposed method are compared with those of image retrieval using the edge descriptor by MPEG-7 and other approaches. The experimental result supports the efficiency of the proposed method.
KeywordsColor Image Image Retrieval Query Image Color Histogram Color Edge
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Niblack, W., et al.: The QBIC project: query images by using color, texture and shape. In: SPIE Proc. Storage and Retrieval for Image and Viedo Database, pp. 173–187 (1993)Google Scholar
- 3.Gupta, A., Jain, R.: Visual information retrieval. Comm. Assoc. Comp. Mach. 40(5), 70–79 (1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Chun, J., Stockman, G.: Subband Image Segmentation Using VQ for Contents-based Image Retrieval. In: Proceedings of the 9th ACM International Conference on Multimedia, October 2001, pp. 486–488 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Lee, B., Nah, Y.: A Color Ratio based Image Retrieval for e-Catalog Image Databases. In: SPIE Proc. Internet Multimedia Management Systems II, vol. 4519, pp. 97–105 (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Yi, B., Park, S., Kwak, J., Cho, N.: Pattern and textile design retrieval for the e-catalog and e-business system by color/texture features and relevance feedback. In: 2001 IEEE Multimedia Technology and Applications Conference, pp. 290–294 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Fan, J., David, K.Y., Yau.: Automatic Image Segmentation by Integrating Color-Edge Extraction and Seeded Region Growing. IEEE Trans. on Image Processing 10(10) (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Di Zenzo, S.: A note on the gradient of a multi-image. CVGIP 33(1), 116–125 (1986)Google Scholar
- 12.ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29/WG 11: Information Technology-Multimedia Content Description Interface-Part, 5: Multimedia Description Schemes, MPEG document N4005, Singapore (March 2001) Google Scholar
- 13.Abraham, R., Marsden, J.E., Ratiu, T.: Manifolds, Tensor Anaysis, and Applications. Springer, New York (1988)Google Scholar