Toward Component-Based System: Using Static Metrics and Relationships in Object-Oriented System
Object-oriented development had not provided extensive reuse and computing infrastructures are evolving from mainframe to distributed environments, where object technology has not led to massive development of distributed systems. However, component-based technology is considered to be more suited for distributed system development due to its granularity and reusability. In this paper, we present a process including the metrics and guidelines that can be applied to reengineer object-oriented systems into component-based systems. Components are created based upon generalization and composition relationships between classes. Resulting components are refined by using the metrics we propose.
KeywordsRefining Process Static Metrics Software Maintenance Component Interface Component Class
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sommerville, I.: Software Engineering, 6th edn. Addison Wesley, Reading (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Jain, H.: Business Component Identification - A Formal Approach. In: IEEE International Enterprise Distributed Object Computing Conference, pp. 183–187 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Serrano, M.A., de Oca, C.M., Carver, D.L.: Evolutionary Migration of Legacy Systems to an Object-Based Distributed Environment. In: IEEE International Conference on Software Maintenance, pp. 86–95 (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.De Lucia, A., Di Lucca, G.A., Fasolino, A.R., Guerram, P., Petruzzelli, S.: Migrating Legacy Systems towards Object Oriented Platforms. In: IEEE International Conference on Software Maintenance, pp. 122–129 (1997)Google Scholar
- 5.Sneed, H.M.: 16 Generation of stateless components from procedural programs for reuse in a distributed system. In: European Conference on Software Maintenance and Reengineering, pp. 183–188 (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Lee, J.K., Jung, S.J., Kim, S.D., Jang, W.H., Ham, D.H.: Component Identification Method with Coupling and Cohesion. In: Asia-Pacific Software Engineering Conference, pp. 79–86 (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Price, M.W., Needham, D.M., Demurjian, S.A.: Producing Reusable Object-Oriented Components: A Domain-and-Organization-Specific Perspective. In: Symposium on Software Reusability, pp. 41–50 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Abreu, F.B., Pereira, G., Sousa, P.: A Coupling-Guided Cluster Analysis Approach to Reengineer the Modularity of Object-Oriented Systems. In: European Conference on Software Maintenance and Reengineering (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Cho, E.S., Kim, M.S., Kim, S.D.: Component Metrics to Measure Component Quality. In: Asia-Pacific Software Engineering Conference, pp. 419–426 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Fowler, M.: Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code. Addison Wesley, Reading (1999)Google Scholar