Slot Allocation Schemes for Delay Sensitive Traffic Support in Asynchronous Wireless Mesh Networks
- 313 Downloads
In this paper, we propose an on-demand QoS routing protocol and heuristics for the slot allocation process in asynchronous single channel wireless mesh networks in the presence of hidden terminals. The heuristics we propose are the Early Fit Reservation (EFR), Minimum Bandwidth Reservation (MBR), and the Position-based Hybrid Reservation (PHR). The heuristic EFR has been found to give the best performance in terms of delay while the PHR and the MBR provide a better throughput. The heuristics proposed above have been adapted to provide an extended battery life for the power constrained mobile nodes and hence reduce the number of battery recharges. The parent and the adapted heuristics are compared in terms of delay and number of battery recharges. Simulation studies have shown that the parent heuristics show better results with respect to delay while the adapted heuristics perform better in terms of the number of deaths of mobile nodes.
KeywordsMobile Node Relay Node Wireless Mesh Network Dynamic Source Route Slot Allocation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Perkins, C.E., Bhagwat, P.: Highly Dynamic Destination-Sequenced Distance Vector Routing (DSDV) for Mobile Computers. In: Proc. of ACM SIGCOMM 1994, September 1994, pp. 234–244 (1994)Google Scholar
- 3.Manoj, B.S., Siva Ram Murthy, C.: Real-time Traffic Support for Ad Hoc Wireless Networks. In: Proc. of IEEE ICON 2002 (August 2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Lin, C.R., Gerla, M.: MACA/PR: An Asynchronous Multimedia Multihop Wireless Network. In: Proc. of IEEE INFOCOM 1997 (March 1997)Google Scholar
- 7.Lin, H.C., Fung, P.C.: Finding Available Bandwidth in Multihop Mobile Wireless Networks. In: Proc. of IEEE VTC, Tokyo, Japan (May 2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Chen, S., Nahrstedt, K.: Distributed Quality-of-Service Routing in Ad Hoc Networks. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 17(8), 1594–1603 (1999)Google Scholar
- 9.Garry, M.R., Johnson, D.S.: Computers and Intractability. Freeman, San Francisco (1979)Google Scholar
- 10.Chiasserini, C.F., Rao, R.R.: Importance of a Pulsed Battery Discharge in Portable Radio Devices. In: Proc. of ACM MOBICOM 1999 (August 1999)Google Scholar
- 11.Panigrahi, D., Chiasserini, C.F., Dey, S., Rao, R.R., Raghunathan, A., Lahiri, K.: Battery Life Estimation for Mobile Embedded Systems. In: Proc. Int. Conf. VLSI Design, January 2001, pp. 55–63 (2001)Google Scholar
- 12.Vidhyashankar, V., Manoj, B.S., Siva Ram Murthy, C.: Slot Allocation Strategies for Delay Sensitive Traffic in Multihop Wireless Networks. Technical Report, HPCN Lab, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Madras (April 2003)Google Scholar