Double-Loop Feedback-Based Scheduling Approach for Distributed Real-Time Systems
- 331 Downloads
The use of feedback control techniques has been gaining importance in real-time scheduling as a means to provide predictable performance in the face of uncertain workload. In this paper, we propose and analyze a feedback scheduling algorithm, called double-loop feedback scheduler, for distributed real-time systems, whose objective is to keep the deadline miss ratio near the desired value and achieve high CPU utilization. This objective is achieved by an integrated design of a local and a global feedback scheduler. We provide the stability analysis of the double-loop system. We also carry out extensive simulation studies to evaluate the performance and stability of the proposed double-loop scheduler. Our studies show that the proposed scheduler achieves high CPU utilization with low miss ratio and stays in steady state after a step change in workload, characterized by change in actual execution time of tasks.
KeywordsExecution Time Schedule Algorithm Local System Utilization Factor Rejection Ratio
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Siva Ram Murthy, C., Manimaran, G.: Resource Management in Real-Time Systems and Networks. MIT Press, Cambridge (April 2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Lu, C., Stankovic, J.A., Tao, G., Son, S.H.: Design and evaluation of feedback control EDF scheduling algorithm. In: Proc. IEEE RTSS, pp. 56–67 (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Stankovic, J.A., Lu, C., Son, S.H., Tao, G.: The case for feedback control real-time scheduling. In: Proc. Euromicro Conference on Real-Time Systems, pp. 11–20 (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Sahoo, D.R., Swaminathan, S., Al-Omari, R., Salapaka, M.V., Manimaran, G., Somani, A.K.: Feedback control for real-time scheduling. In: Proc. American Controls Conference, vol. 2, pp. 1254–1259 (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Al-Omari, R., Manimaran, G., Salapaka, M.V., Somani, A.K.: New algorithms for openloop and closed-loop scheduling of real-time tasks based on execution time estimation. In: Proc. IEEE IPDPS (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Alexander, D.R., Lawrence, D.A., Welch, L.R.: Feedback control resource management using a posteriori workload characterizations. In: Proc. IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, vol. 3, pp. 2222–2227 (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Ravindran, B., Kachroo, P., Hegazy, T.: Adaptive resource management in asynchronous real-time distributed systems using feedback control functions. In: Proc. Intl. Symposium on Autonomous Decentralized Systems, pp. 39–46 (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Stankovic, J.A., He, T., Abdelzaher, T.F., Marley, M., Tao, G., Son, S.H., Lu, C.: Feedback control scheduling in distributed systems. In: Proc. IEEE RTSS, pp. 59–70 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Ogata, K.: Modern Control Engineering. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River (2002)Google Scholar