Thermal Hydraulic Modelling Studies on Heat Exchanging Components
- 28 Downloads
To perform 2-D and 3-D thermal hydraulic calculations on heat exchanging components for the liquid metal fast breeder reactor SNR-300 in Kalkar several computational models have been developed using the PHOENICS code. Calculations have been performed to predict thermal hydraulic behaviour under steady state as well as under transient conditions. In this paper the computational and validation results will be discussed for an 85 MWth intermediate heat exchanger and a 17 MWth steam generator operating under once through conditions. Both these components, prototypes for the SNR-300, were full scale tested, in the Sodium Component Test Facility (SCTF) in Hengelo, The Netherlands. It became apparent that the models developed are able to predict the most relevant characteristics of the thermal hydraulic behaviour of both the components. In the validation procedure it appeared that an excellent agreement between the measurements and the calculation results could be established.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- /1/.Ludwig, P.W.P.H., Hus, B.W.: “Some results of the 50 MW straight tube steam generator tests in the TNO 50 MW SCTF at Hengelo”, Summary report IAEA Study Group Meeting on Steam Generators for LFMBR’s, Bensberg, October 14–17, (1974).Google Scholar
- /2/.Leeuwen, N.J.M. van, Westerweele, W.J.:”Expierences during testing of a prototype intermediate heat exchanger for SNR-300”. Proceedings of Second International Conference on Liquid Metal Tenology in Energy Production, Richland, Washington, April (1980).Google Scholar
- /3/.Hirs, G.G., Horst, J.F.M. ter: “Solving thermal hydraulic problems in heat exchangers by flow redistribution” ASME-WAM (1982), 82-WA/NE-2.Google Scholar
- /4/.Brasz, J, Essen, D. van: “Experimental determination of density-wave oscillations in full-scale sodium-heated steam generators”. Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Boiler Dynamics and Control in Nuclear Power Stations, BNS, Bournemouth, October 23–25, (1979).Google Scholar
- /5/.Essen, D. van: “Experimental results of the 85 MWth SNR-300 intermediate heat exchanger”. ASME publucation, HTD-Vol. 51, pp. 1–7, ASME-WAM, (1985).Google Scholar
- /6/.Kirkcaldy, D., Phelps, P.J., Essen, D. van: “Phoenics code thermal hydraulic analysis of the SNR-300 IHX”. ASME Publication, HTD-Vol. 51, pp. 9–16, ASME-WAM, (1985).Google Scholar
- /7/.Spalding, D.B.: “A general purpose program for multidimensional one- and two phase flow”. Mathematics and Computers in Simulation, Vol. 23, (1981).Google Scholar
- /8/.Markatos, N.C., Phelps, P.J., Purslow, B.: “Computer simulation of the thermal-hydraulic behaviour of fast reactor pools”. Annals of Nuclear Energy, Vol 9, No. 179 (1982).Google Scholar