Analysis of Cybersecurity Threats in Industry 4.0: The Case of Intrusion Detection
Nowadays, industrial control systems are experiencing a new revolution with the interconnection of the operational equipment with the Internet, and the introduction of cutting-edge technologies such as Cloud Computing or Big data within the organization. These and other technologies are paving the way to the Industry 4.0. However, the advent of these technologies, and the innovative services that are enabled by them, will also bring novel threats whose impact needs to be understood. As a result, this paper provides an analysis of the evolution of these cyber-security issues and the requirements that must be satisfied by intrusion detection defense mechanisms in this context.
KeywordsIndustry Control systems Internet IoT Cloud Big data Critical infrastructure Intrusion detection IDS
This work has been funded by the Spanish Ministry of Economy, Industry and Competitiveness through the SADCIP (RTC-2016-4847-8) project. The work of the first author han been partially financed by the Spanish Ministry of Education under the FPU program (FPU15/03213).
- 1.Davies, R.: Industry 4.0. digitalisation for productivity and growth. European Parliamentary Research Service, Briefing (2015)Google Scholar
- 2.ICS-CERT. Overview of cyber vulnerabilities, June 2017. https://ics-cert.us-cert.gov/content/overview-cyber-vulnerabilities
- 3.Leitão, P., Barbosa, J., Papadopoulou, M.-E.Ch., Venieris, I.S.: Standardization in cyber-physical systems: the ARUM case. In: IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology (ICIT 2015), pp. 2988–2993 (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.Federal Office for information Security. Industrial control system security: Top 10 threats and countermeasures 2016, June 2017. https://www.allianz-fuer-cybersicherheit.de/ACS/DE/_/downloads/BSI-CS_005E.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=3
- 9.Tsao, T., Alexander, R., Dohler, M., Daza, V., Lozano, A., Richardson, M : A security threat analysis for the routing protocol for low-power and lossy networks (RPLs). Technical report (2015)Google Scholar
- 13.Upadhyay, G.M., Arora, H.: Vulnerabilities of data storage security in big data. IITM J. Manag. IT 7(1), 37–41 (2016)Google Scholar
- 14.Brettel, M., Friederichsen, N., Keller, M., Rosenberg, M.: How virtualization, decentralization and network building change the manufacturing landscape: an industry 4.0 perspective. Int. J. Mech. Ind. Sci. Eng. 8(1), 37–44 (2014)Google Scholar
- 16.Industrial Data Space Association. Industrial data space: Reference architecture, June 2017. http://www.industrialdataspace.org/en/
- 19.Rubio, J.E., Alcaraz, C., Roman, R., Lopez, J.: Analysis of intrusion detection systems in industrial ecosystems. In: 14th International Conference on Security and Cryptography (SECRYPT 2017) (2017)Google Scholar
- 20.HeSec. HeSec Smart Agents, June 2017. http://he-sec.com/products/