Challenges of Real-Scale Production with Smart Dynamic Casting
- 1.6k Downloads
Digital fabrication with concrete has for more than a decade been of high interest in both research institutions and industries. A particular interest has been set on Contour Crafting, a type of layered extrusion with concrete, which in recent years has been used for the fabrication of single and multi-story buildings. However, these have been done with little proof of systematic integration of reinforcement, which until now still requires tedious post processing to obtain the structural capabilities required.
Smart dynamic casting, a robotic fabrication process for standard and non-standard vertical structures, has recently proven a systematic integration of reinforcement and is thereby the first digital fabrication process world-wide which has unified reinforcement and concreting in a single robotic fabrication process. This paper presents the latest developments and challenges of SDC and introduces the first architectural application in the form of structurally optimised façade mullions that are to be installed in the dfab House at the EMPA premises in Dübendorf, Switzerland.
KeywordsSlipforming Digital fabrication Concrete Processing
The work in this study was funded by the National Centre for Competence in Research in Digital Fabrication in Architecture. The authors acknowledge the contributions of Heinz Richner and Andreas Reusser, as well as the support of Hans Flueckiger (Zühlke AG).
- 4.Hack, N., Wangler, T., Mata-Falcon, J., Dörfler, K., Kumar, N., Walzer, A.N., Graser, K., Reiter, L., Richner, H., Buchli, J., Kaufmann, W., Flatt, R.J., Gramazio, F., Kohler, M.: Mesh mould: an on site, robotically fabricated, functional formwork. In: Second Concrete Innovation Conference (2nd CIC), Paper No. 19, Tromsø, Norway (2017)Google Scholar
- 7.Szabo, A., Reiter, L., Lloret-Fritschi, E., Gramazio, F., Kohler, M., Flatt, R.J.: Adapting smart dynamic casting to thin folded geometries. In: Proceedings of the 1st International Conference for Concrete and Digital Fabrication, Zurich, Switzerland (2018)Google Scholar
- 8.Lloret-Fritschi, E., Reiter, L., Wangler, T., Gramazio, F., Kohler, M., Flatt, R.J.: Smart dynamic casting: slipforming with flexible formwork – inline measurement and control. In: Second Concrete Innovation Conference (2nd CIC), Paper No. 27, Tromsø, Norway (2017)Google Scholar
- 9.http://dfabhouse.ch/dfab-house/. Accessed 13 June 2018
- 10.SIA 261: Einwirkungen auf Tragwerke (Actions on Load-Bearing Structures) (2014)Google Scholar
- 11.SIA 262: Betonbau – Ergänzende Festlegungen (Concrete Constructions – Complementary provisions) (2013)Google Scholar
- 12.Fuhrimann, L.: Reinforcement strategies for smart dynamic casting. ETH Zurich Bachelor Thesis (2017)Google Scholar