Analysis and Regulation of Biologics, Including Biosimilars
Biologics represent an increasingly important segment of the pharmaceutical market, and were 25% of the worldwide total prescription and OTC sales in 2017. EvaluatePharma predicts that by 2024, 9 of the top 15 pharmaceuticals by sales in the United States, and 10 worldwide will be monoclonal antibodies or fusion proteins. Many of these products have patents that have already or soon will expire. Due to the complex nature of biologics, they are typically expensive to produce, and until recently, the United States had no defined process for approving biosimilar equivalents of biotechnology-derived drugs.
KeywordsBiosimilarity Interchangeable biosimilar Totality of the evidence Biologics License Application Biosimilar product switching Biosimilar product naming Extrapolation of data
- 6.EvaluatePharma. EvaluatePharma world preview 2018, outlook to 2024. 11 ed. Evaluate, 2018. p. 47.Google Scholar
- 7.Piascik P. Dispensing biotechnology products: handling, professional education, and product information. In: Crommelin DJA, Sindelar RD, Meibohm B, editors. Pharmaceutical biotechnology: fundamentals and applications. 3rd ed. New York: Informa Healthcare; 2008.Google Scholar
- 8.FDA. Quality considerations in demonstrating biosimilarity to a reference protein product. Secondary quality considerations in demonstrating biosimilarity to a reference protein product 2012. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/UCM291134.pdf.
- 9.Register F. Statement of policy for biotechnology products. Federal Register 51 June 26 1996;23309 SRC – GoogleScholar.Google Scholar
- 12.Shar VP, Crommelin DJA. Regulatory issues and drug product approval for biopharmaceuticals. In: Crommelin DJA, Sindelar RD, Meibohm B, editors. Pharmaceutical biotechnology: fundamentals and applications. 3rd ed. New York: Informa Healthcare; 2008.Google Scholar
- 13.FDA. Applications Covered by Section 505(b)(2). October . FDA website. Secondary Applications Covered by Section 505(b)(2). October . FDA website 1999. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/.../Guidances/ucm079345.pdf.
- 14.Mott RM. “Biosimilars” Under the 505(b)(2) Pathway. March 19, 2015. https://www.biologicsblog.com/biosimilars-under-505-b-2-pathway-2.
- 15.FDA. Scientific considerations in demonstrating biosimilarity to a reference product. Secondary scientific considerations in demonstrating biosimilarity to a reference product 2012. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/UCM291128.pdf.
- 16.Follow-on biologic Basaglar shakes up the insulin market (with chart: half of insured patients have access to Basaglar). December 22, 2017. https://aishealth.com/drug-benefits/follow-on-biologic-basaglar-shakes-up-the-insulin-market/.
- 17.Drug facts and comparisons secondary drug facts and comparisons 2018. http://www.lww.com/Product/9781574393705.
- 18.Hung A, Vu Q, Mostovoy L. A systematic review of U.S. Biosimilar approvals: what evidence does the FDA require and how are manufacturers responding? J Manag Care Spec Pharm. 2017;23(12):1234–44. https://doi.org/10.18553/jmcp.2017.23.12.1234. [published Online First: Epub Date].CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Report BRa. US 351(k) Biosimilar Filings. Secondary US 351(k) Biosimilar Filings June 18, 2018. https://biosimilarsrr.com/us-biosimilar-filings/.
- 20.Vandekerckhove K, Seidl A, Gutka H, et al. Rational selection, criticality assessment, and tiering of quality attributes and test methods for analytical similarity evaluation of biosimilars. AAPS J. 2018;20(4):68. https://doi.org/10.1208/s12248-018-0230-9. [published Online First: Epub Date].CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 21.FDA. Biosimilars: questions and answers regarding implementation of the biologics price competition and innovation Act of Secondary Biosimilars: questions and answers regarding implementation of the biologics price competition and innovation Act of 2012. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/ucm259797.htm.
- 24.Cohen HP, Blauvelt A, Rifkin RM, Danese S, Gokhale SB, Woollett G. Switching reference medicines to biosimilars: a systematic literature review of clinical outcomes. Drugs. 2018;78(4):463–78. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40265-018-0881-y. [published Online First: Epub Date].CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar