The Need for Prevention: A Service-User’s Perspective
- 307 Downloads
This chapter offers an insight into the mind of Peter, who deeply regrets committing a sexual offence and who would have responded well to preventative treatment earlier in life. Focussing on the formative experiences of an individual who has committed a sexual offence, Peter talks about his search for help and the disappointments of not being able to access this in time. He also explores some of the wider societal issues, based on his own individual experience of treatment and inner struggles to cope with unwanted sexual thoughts and feelings. Since offending, Peter has read widely and undertaken significant treatment which has given him a solid base to be able to avoid acting on these unwanted desires in the future.
KeywordsPrevention Personal experience Compassion Focussed Therapy (CFT) Acceptance Commitment Therapy (ACT) Service user account
With thanks to Emma Allen, Dr. Kerensa Hocken and Mrs. Pat Taylor for their assistance in editing this ready for publication.
- BBC. (2017). Half of women sexually harassed at work. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41741615
- Chatterjee, R. (2018). 81 Percent of women have experienced sexual harassment. https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/02/21/587671849/a-new-surveyfinds-eighty-percent-of-women-have-experienced-sexual-harassment
- Kirk, A. (2017). One in five women have been sexually harassed. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/25/two-five-women-have-sexually-harassed-workplace-poll-shows/
- Laws, R., & Ward, T. (2011). Desistance from sex offending. New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Justice. (2018). Proven Re-offending statistics quarterly bulletin – April 2016 to June 2016, England and Wales. https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/proven-reoffending-statistics-april-2016-to-june-2016
- Positively UK. (2014). Improving well-being: The effectiveness of peer support. http://positivelyuk.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Evaluation-report-web.pdf
- Williams, Z. (2017). Sexual Harassment 101: What everyone needs to know. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/16/facts-sexual-harassment-workplace-harvey-weinstein
- Worrall, P. (2017). How many women face sexual harassment in the workplace? https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-how-many-women-face-sexual-harassment-in-the-workplace