The Path Partition Conjecture
The Path Partition Conjecture (PPC) states that if G is any graph and (a, b) any pair of positive integers such that G has no path with more than a + b vertices, then there exists a partition (A, B) of the vertex set of G such that A has no path with more than a vertices, and B has no path with more than b vertices. We present a brief history of the PPC, discuss its relation to other conjectures and examine results supporting the PPC that have appeared in the literature since its first formulation in 1981. We conclude with a few related open problems.
M. Frick is supported by the National Research Foundation of S.A. Grant 107668.
- 18.A.N. Glebov, D.J. Zambalaeva, Path partitioning planar graphs, Siberian. Electronic Mathematical Reports 4, 450–459 (2007). http://semr.math.nsc.ru (in Russian, English abstract)
- 21.P. Katrenic~, G. Semanis~in, A note on the path kernel conjecture. Discrete Math. 309, 2551–2554 (2009)Google Scholar
- 23.J.M. Laborde, C. Payan, N.H. Xuong, Independent sets and longest directed paths in digraphs, in Graphs and Other Combinatorial Topics, Prague, 1982, pp. 173–177. Teubner-Texte Math., 59, 1983Google Scholar
- 26.L.S. Melnikov, I.V. Petrenko, On path kernels and partitions of undirected graphs. Diskretn Anal. Issled Oper. 9, 21–35 (2002) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 27.L.S. Melnikov, I.V. Petrenko, Path kernels and partitions of graphs with small cycle length, Methods and tools of program construction and optimization, ed. by V.N. Kasyanov (ISI SB Russian Academy of Science, Novosibirsk, 2005), pp. 145–160 (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 28.P. Mihók, Problem 4 in Graphs, Hypergraphs and Matroids, ed. by M. Borowiecki, Z. Skupien (Zielona Góra, 1985), p. 86Google Scholar
- 30.J. Vronka, Vertex sets of graphs with prescribed properties (in Slovak), Thesis, supervised by P. Mihók, P.J. Safárik University, Košice, 1986Google Scholar
- 31.D.B. West, Research problems. Discrete Math. 272, 301–306 (2003)Google Scholar