Outsider by Birth: Leading in a Family Firm
This chapter considers non-family leadership in a family firm. This complex role is reflected upon by Anthony Dinan, former MD of Thomas Crosbie Holdings, at one time the largest family-owned Print and Media Corporation in Ireland. Anthony reflects on being the first outsider MD in a five-generation family firm and the challenges and opportunities affiliate to this role. He goes on to discuss negotiating with owners and employees in this role and considers the outsider-insider dynamic affiliated to leading a large-scale acquisition strategy in this environment. The impact of the global downturn of 2008–2009 is relevant in this chapter, as are the familial dynamics following this external shock. The chapter concludes with Anthony’s reflections on an outsider leader career within a large-scale family firm.
- Barnett, T., and F.W. Kellermanns. 2006. Are We Family and Are We Treated as Family? Nonfamily Employees’ Perceptions of Justice in the Family Firm. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice 30 (6): 837–854.Google Scholar
- Chami, R. 2001. What Is Different About Family Business? International Monetary Fund Working Paper, WP/01/70.Google Scholar
- Crosbie, A. 2000. Don’t Leave It to the Children: Starting, Building and Sustaining a Family Business. Ireland: Mario Publishing.Google Scholar
- Gómez-Mejía, L.R., K. Takács Haynes, M. Núñez-Nickel, K. Jacobson, and J. Moyano-Fuentes. 2007. Socioemotional Wealth and Business Risks in Family-Controlled Firms: Evidence from Spanish Olive Oil Mills. Administrative Science Quarterly 52 (1): 106–137.Google Scholar
- Hancock, C. 2010. Dinan Leaving “Examiner” Parent. Irish Times Newspaper, May 13. https://www.irishtimes.com/business/dinan-leaving-examiner-parent-1.664333. Accessed Jan 2018.
- Healy, T. 2008. “Examiner” in Court Battle Over Printing Deal. Independent Newspaper, December 10. https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/examiner-in-court-battle-over-printing-deal-26498353.html. Accessed Jan 2018.
- ———. 2013. Printing Firm Sues Over Loss of Contract with TCH Media Group. Independent Newspaper, March 20. https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/printing-firm-sues-over-loss-of-contract-with-tch-media-group-29144064.html. Accessed Jan 2018.
- Irish Examiner. 2005. Webprint and TCH Sign Printing Deal. Irish Examiner, July 5. https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/webprint-and-tch-sign-printing-deal-210209.html?c=business&jp=210209&h=webprint-and-tch-sign-printing-deal&t=html. Accessed Jan 2018.
- Keane, C. 2006. TCH Chief Dinan Wins Business Award. Irish Examiner, November 25. https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/tch-chief-dinan-wins-business-award-19196.html. Accessed Jan 2018.
- Oswald, S.L., L.A. Muse, and M.W. Rutherford. 2009. The Influence of Large Stake Family Control on Performance: Is It Agency or Entrenchment? Journal of Small Business Management 47 (1): 116–135.Google Scholar
- Riegel, R. 2001. Alan Crosbie Quits as Examiner Chief. Independent Newspaper, February 6. https://www.independent.ie/business/alan-crosbie-quits-as-examiner-chief-26095784.html. Accessed Jan 2018.
- ———. 2002. Newsmaker of the Week. Independent Newspaper, April 27. https://www.independent.ie/business/newsmaker-of-the-week-26052973.html. Accessed Jan 2018.
- Sexton, C. 2017. The Fall of the House of Crosbie. The Business Post, December 10. https://www.businesspost.ie/business/fall-house-crosbie-404859. Accessed Jan 2018.
- Vaughan, T., ed. 2013. Special Feature: Something Lost, But Something Gained. Irish Examiner, March 7. https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/special-feature-something-lost-but-something-gained-224692.html. Accessed Jan 2018.
- Zellweger, T.M., and J.H. Astrachan. 2008. On the Emotional Value of Owning a Firm. Family Business Review 21 (4): 347–363.Google Scholar