Outsider After the Fact: Leading in a Founder-Present Business
This chapter discusses the challenges of an outsider leader running a business where the founder remains in an active role in the business. Grace O’Shaughnessy, the youngest business leader featured in this publication, considers her early management career in Kylemore Bakery and Lir Chocolates, each founder/family businesses, before reflecting on her progressive roles in Java Republic (an independently owned founder-led coffee and tea distribution company, focused on the B2B market) as GM, MD and, more recently, CEO. The nuances of differentiating between two leader roles—one insider and one outsider—are discussed, as are the necessary role negotiations and renegotiations as an organisation grows. Contemplating the debate as to whether an outsider leader should be sought out by default, Grace considers the nuances of selecting someone for their skills, regardless of gender, age or outsiderness. The chapter closes with a conclusion and reflection.
- Greenislefoods.ie. 2018. Great Tasting Frozen Foods. http://www.greenislefoods.ie/. Accessed Apr 2018.
- Javarepublic.com. 2018. It Was Nearly 20 Years Ago Today…, Dublin, Ireland. Published January 17. https://www.javarepublic.com/nearly-20-years-ago-today-2/. Accessed Apr 2018.
- Kennedy, I. 2016. Irish Coffee Culture Continues to Grow. An Bord Bia, Ireland. July 1. https://www.bordbia.ie/industry/manufacturers/insight/alerts/pages/irishcoffeeculturecontinuestogrow.aspx. Accessed Apr 2018.
- Lirchocolates.com. 2018. From Humble Beginnings, Dublin, Ireland. http://www.lirchocolates.com/our-story.php. Accessed Apr 2018.
- Murphy, M. 2017. 7% Growth Forecast for Irish Coffee Market. Food for Thought, February 20. https://www.fft.ie/7-growth-forecast-for-irish-coffee-market/15042. Accessed Apr 2018.
- Murphy, M., F. Kelliher, and D. Harrington. 2018. Exploring the Perceived Impact of Strategic Learning Plans on Growth-Focused Small Service Firms. In Contemporary Issues in Entrepreneurship Research Creating Entrepreneurial Space: Talking Through Multi Voices, Reflections on Emerging Debates, Emerald Book Series, ed. D. Higgins, P. Jones, and P. McGrown, 157–175. UK: Emerald Publishing Limited.Google Scholar
- Newenham, P. 2013. The Rise of Kylemore from Bakery to Catering and Beyond. Irish Times, August 16. https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/the-rise-of-kylemore-from-bakery-to-catering-and-beyond-1.1495393. Accessed Apr 2018.
- O’Donoghue, 2017. I Got Married at 23 and Had to Retire. At 40, I Started a Chocolate Firm in My Kitchen. My Business Works Series, The journal.ie, November 8. http://www.thejournal.ie/connie-doody-lir-chocolates-2-3688210-Nov2017/. Accessed Apr 2018.