Outside in and Out and in as a Serial Entrepreneur
This chapter considers the serial entrepreneur as an outsider business leader. John Teeling heads up several exploration companies including Botswana Diamonds and Petrel, as well as Great Northern Distillery, which produces Teeling Whiskey. Tracking John Teeling’s career from his first business venture at the age of 14 years old, the chapter chronicles the objective eye of an outsider business leader who specialises in identifying underperforming organisations that have unrealised value within. John reflects on how one sees opportunity where others do not, and contemplates the value of being a purposeful outsider, consciously remaining beyond the confines of “joining” a particular organisation. A conclusion and reflection on the content therein closes the chapter.
- Carland, J.C., J.W. Carland, and W.H. Stewart Jr. 2000. The Indefatigable Entrepreneur: A Study of the Dispositions of Multiple Venture Founders. Journal of Business and Entrepreneurship 12 (1): 1–10.Google Scholar
- Hyytinen, A., and P. Ilmakunnas. 2007. What Distinguishes a Serial Entrpreneur? Industrial and Corporate Change 5 (1): 793–821.Google Scholar
- Ilgner, T., L. Quinn, R. Pittock, F. Cassidy, R. O’Sullivan, K. Naidoo, and G. McWilliams. 1996. The Entrepreneur, Cooley Distillery Plc, BA 359: Entrepreneurship & Innovation, University College Dublin, Ireland.Google Scholar
- Kennelly, J. J. 2014. Cooley Distillery: The Independent Spirit of Ireland. Harvard Business Review Case Study Collection, Product #: NA0270-PDF-ENG.Google Scholar
- Kenny, I. 1991. John Teeling. In Out on Their Own, 341–363. Dublin: Gill & Macmillan Ltd.Google Scholar
- O’Gorman, C. 2010. John Teeling Life as an Entrepreneur. Teaching Case Study, Dublin City University, Ireland.Google Scholar
- Singh, R. P., G. E. Hills, G. T. Lumpkin, and R. C. Hybels. 1999. The Entrepreneurial Opportunity Recognition Process: Examining the Role of Self-Perceived Alertness and Social Networks. Academy of Management Proceedings, August.Google Scholar
- Teeling, J. 2007. The Just-Drinks Interview, September 11. http://www.justdrinks.com/interview/the-just-drinks-interview-cooley-distillery_id91495.aspx. Accessed Nov 2017.
- Westhead, P., D. Ucbasaran, and M. Wright. 2005. Novice, Serial and Portfolio Entrepreneur Behaviour and Contributions. Small Business Economics 25: 109–122.Google Scholar
- Wright, M., K. Robbie, and C. Ennew. 1997. Serial Enrepreneurs. British Journal of Management 8: 251–268.Google Scholar