Mathematical Learning and Its Difficulties in Israel
The present chapter aims to introduce the Israeli case of mathematical learning disability (MLD) and general mathematical education. The chapter begins with presenting the greatest challenges of the educational system in Israel: dealing with the diversity of the population, both culturally and socioeconomically, which has deeply influenced the educational system. Afterward, we discuss the essential role of the core subject mathematics in the Israeli educational system. Then we address Israeli students’ performance in relation to international students by summarizing worldwide comparative data.
The second part of the chapter discusses MLD diagnosis and remediation in Israel. Currently, there is no standardized normed diagnostic tool for assessing MLD in Israeli children. Hence, the urgent need for such a tool is highlighted. We discuss the current diagnostic process of MLD and the ongoing changes in the diagnostic process of learning disabilities in Israel. We also introduce teaching accommodations and in-class interventions employed to help children with MLD in Israel. Lastly, we discuss the recent advancements in MLD diagnosis in post-secondary educational institutes in Israel.
KeywordsDevelopmental dyscalculia Cultural difference Learning disabilities Special education Dyscalculia assessment
The authors would like to thank Sarit Silverman for her help in conceptualization of this chapter and Dr. Dorit Neria, the director of the discipline of mathematics for preschool and primary school education in the Ministry of Education, for her valuable feedback.
- Agarwal, S., & Mazumder, B. (2013). Cognitive abilities and household financial decision making. American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, 5(1), 193–207.Google Scholar
- Ashkenazi, S., Rosenberg-Lee, M., Metcalfe, A. W. S., Swigart, A. G., & Menon, V. (2013). Visuo–spatial working memory is an important source of domain-general vulnerability in the development of arithmetic cognition. Neuropsychologia, 51(11), 2305–2317. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuropsychologia.2013.06.031 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Halberda, J., Ly, R., Wilmer, J. B., Naiman, D. Q., & Germine, L. (2012). Number sense across the lifespan as revealed by a massive Internet-based sample. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 109(28), 11116–11120. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1200196109 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Margalit, M., El-Dor, Y., El-Yagon, E., Shani, M., Shelo-m'Vurach, L., Copelman-Ruvein, D., et al. (2014). Dokh haVa'ada l'Iytzuv Ekronot haMidiniyot l'Tipul b'Talmidim im Lakoyot l'Mida [Committee report on designing treatment policies in children with learning disabilities]. Retrieved from: http://meyda.education.gov.il/files/shefi/liikoheylemida/margalit2.pdf
- Masri, M. (2017). The dynamics of exclusionary constitutionalism: israel as a jewish and democratic state. London: Bloomsbury Publishing.Google Scholar
- Olmert, E., Tamir, Y., Yishai, E., Peres, S., & Itzik, D. (2008). Khok Zkhuyot Talmidim Im Lakut L'mayda b’Mosodot al Tokhniyim [The law for the rights of students with learning disabilities]. Retrieved from: https://www.nevo.co.il/law_html/Law01/999_941.htm
- Psychological Consultation Services. (2017). Lekuyey l’Mida v’Hafra’at Keshev [Learning and attention disabilities]. Retrieved from: http://cms.education.gov.il/EducationCMS/Units/Shefi/LikuyeyLemida/melakuyot+llemida.htm
- State of Israel, Ministry of Education. (2003). Tochnit HaLiba l'Khinuch ha'Yesodi b'Yisrael [The core curriculum for elementary school education in Israel]. Retrieved from: http://cms.education.gov.il/EducationCMS/Units/Mazkirut_Pedagogit/Portal/Mazhap/TochnitHliba/TochnitLiba.htm
- State of Israel, Ministry of Education. (2005). Irgun v’minhal [Organization and administration]. Retrieved from: http://cms.education.gov.il/EducationCMS/Applications/Mankal/EtsMedorim/3/3-1/HoraotKeva/K-2006-3a-3-1-25.htm
- Statistical Abstract of Israel 2017. (2017). Retrieved from: http://www.cbs.gov.il/reader/shnatonenew_site.htm 15/09/2017
- Szűcs, D. (2016). Chapter 11 – Subtypes and comorbidity in mathematical learning disabilities: Multidimensional study of verbal and visual memory processes is key to understanding. In C. Marinella & F. Wim (Eds.), Progress in brain research (Vol. 227, pp. 277–304). Elsevier London.Google Scholar
- The Knesset. (2007). Khok Limud Khova [The compulsory education law]. Retrieved from: http://main.knesset.gov.il/Activity/Legislation/Laws/Pages/LawSecondary.aspx?lawitemid=136464
- The Ministry of Education. (2014). Mismach Hatamah h’limudim b'Matmatika Shel Beit haSefer haYisodi [Accommodations document of the general math curriculum for special education students]. Retrieved from: http://www.files.org.il/BRPortalStorage/a/2/66/57/11-mVeJzg3qz3.pdf
- United Nations Development Programme. (2016). Human development data of the United Nations (1990–2015). Retrieved http://hdr.undp.org/en/data#
- Zameret, Z. (2012). Melting pot in Israel: The commission of inquiry concerning the education of immigrant children during the early years of the state. Albany: SUNY Press.Google Scholar
- Zangwill, I. (2017). The melting-pot. Ontario: Broadview Press.Google Scholar