Using ESPRESO as Linear Solver Library for Third Party FEM Tools for Solving Large Scale Problems
ESPRESO is a FEM package that includes a Hybrid Total FETI (HTFETI) linear solver targeted at solving large scale engineering problems. The scalability of the solver was tested on several of the world’s largest supercomputers. To provide our scalable implementation of HTFETI algorithms to all potential users, a simple C API was developed and is presented. The paper describes API methods, compilation and linking process.
As a proof of concept we interfaced ESPRESO with the CSC ELMER solver and compared its performance with the ELMER FETI solver. HTFETI performs two level decomposition, which significantly improves both memory utilization and solver performance. To select optimal second level decomposition we have developed a performance model that controls decomposition automatically. This is a major simplification for all users that ensures optimal solver settings.
We show that the ESPRESO HTFETI solver is up to 3.7 times faster than the ELMER FETI solver when running on 13 500 MPI processes (the 614 compute nodes of the Salomon supercomputer) and solving 1.5 billion unknown problems of 3D linear elasticity.
KeywordsTotal FETI Hybrid Total FETI ESPRESO ELMER Automatic tunning model Multi-level decomposition
This work was supported by The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports from the Large Infrastructures for Research, Experimental Development and Innovations project “IT4Innovations National Supercomputing Center – LM2015070”.
- 8.Brzobohatý, T., Jarošová, M., Kozubek, T., Menšík, M., Markopoulos, A.: The hybrid total FETI method. In: Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Parallel, Distributed, Grid and Cloud Computing for Engineering. Civil-Comp, Ltd. (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Intel: Math kernel library. https://software.intel.com/en-us/mkl
- 14.Říha, L., Brzobohatý, T., Markopoulos, A., Meca, O., Kozubek, T.: Massively parallel hybrid total FETI (HTFETI) solver. In: Proceedings of the Platform for Advanced Scientific Computing Conference, PASC 2016, pp. 7:1–7:11. ACM, New York (2016)Google Scholar
- 15.ESPRESO: Public repository. https://github.com/It4innovations/espreso
- 16.ESPRESO: Documentation. http://espreso.it4i.cz/
- 17.Elmer: CSC - IT Center for Science. https://www.csc.fi/web/elmer
- 18.Elmer: Public repository. https://github.com/elmercsc/elmerfem