Using Scaling Methods to Improve Support Vector Regression’s Performance for Travel Time and Traffic Volume Predictions
- 1.1k Downloads
Long queues often happen on toll roads, especially at the tollgates. These create many problems including having an impact on the regular roads nearby. If travel time and traffic volume at the tollgates can be predicted accurately in advance, this would allow traffic authorities to take appropriate measures to improve traffic flow and the safety of road users. This paper describes a novel combination of scaling methods with Support Vector Machines for Regression (SVR) for travel time and tollgate volume prediction tasks, as part of the Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD) Cup 2017. A new method is introduced to handle missing data by utilising the structure of the road network. Moreover, experiments with reduced data were conducted to evaluate whether the conclusions from combining scaling methods with SVR could be generalised.
KeywordsTravel time prediction Traffic volume prediction Tollgate SVR Time series analysis SVR with scaling Support vector regression
S. acknowledges strategic funding support from Chalmers Area of Advance Transport while writing this paper.
- 1.Lin, A.Y., Zhang, M.C., Selpi.: Combining support vector regression with scaling methods for highway tollgates travel time and volume predictions. In: Proceedings of International Work-Conference on Time Series Analysis. ITISE (2017)Google Scholar
- 2.KDD2017, https://tianchi.aliyun.com/competition/information.htm?spm=5176.100067.5678.2.ru0ea4&raceId=231597. Last accessed 15 Mar 2017
- 3.Drucker, H., Burges, C.J., Kaufman, L., Smola, A., Vapnik, V.: Support vector regression machines. Advanc Neural Inf. Process. Syst. 9, 155–161 (1997)Google Scholar
- 11.Basak, D., Pal, S., Patranabis, D.C.: Support vector regression. Neural Inf. Process. Lett. Rev. 11(10), 203–224 (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.SVR. http://scikit-learn.org/stable/modules/generated/sklearn.svm.SVR.html. Last accessed 15 Mar 2017
- 13.Crone, S.F., Guajardo, J., Weber, R.: The impact of preprocessing on support vector regression and neural networks in time series prediction. In: DMIN, pp. 37–44 (2006)Google Scholar
- 14.RobustScaler. http://scikit-learn.org/stable/modules/generated/sklearn.preprocessing.RobustScaler.html. Last accessed 15 Mar 2017
- 16.van Lint., J.W.C.: Reliable travel time prediction for freeways: bridging artificial neural networks and traffic flow theory. In: TRAIL Research School (2004)Google Scholar