Experimental Validation of Quantum-Economic Analysis (QEA) as a Screening Tool for New Product Development
Quantum Economic Analysis (QEA®) was originally developed as a tool for business consulting. The key postulate of QEA is that, in order to make a business successful, the combined levels of development of (1) the company, (2) its product, and (3) the target market (further referred to as Combination) must fall within a set of “allowed” combinations (further referred to as Allowed Set). If a business’s Combination is not within the Allowed Set, it will unlikely be successful regardless of how good the company and the product are and how big the target market is. This approach allows business consultants to identify the right business strategy, and, for example, to recommend changes to the company that result in a Combination within the Allowed Set in order to maximize the probability of business success. It has been suggested that QEA, with some minor modifications, may be applicable in technical TRIZ-consulting as well, albeit for a different purpose. In TRIZ-consulting, QEA may serve as a screening tool for new product development that rejects unpromising ideas whose Combination does not fall within the Allowed Set. In this chapter the authors have tried to validate QEA’s Allowed Set experimentally by analyzing a pool of technical solutions for new products developed for different companies in actual TRIZ-consulting projects. The results show that all commercially successful new products generally fell into QEA’s Allowed Set, which confirms that QEA may indeed be included in the arsenal of TRIZ -consulting tools.
The authors would like to thank Deborah Abramov for her helpful comments and for correcting the English in this paper.
- 1.Shneyder A, Katsman J, Topchishvili G (2002) Nauka pobezhdat’ v investitsiyah, menedzhmente i marketinge (The science of winning in investments, management and marketing). OOO “Izdatelstvo AST”, Moscow. [In Russian]Google Scholar
- 2.Topchishvili G, Malkov K, Tunitsky D (2010) Marketing in the new millennium: models for success. Word Association Publishers, TarentumGoogle Scholar
- 3.Agency Innovators (2008) Givi Topchishvili, Founder & President of Global Advertising Strategies—Headquarters in New York. http://agency-innovators.typepad.com/agency_innovators_2008/givi-topchishvili-founder-president-of-global-advertising-strategiesheadquarters-in-new-york.html. Accessed 18 Jan 2018
- 4.Khlebnikov D, Alperovich M, Yatsina A (2016) Strategiya svoimi silami: poshagovoe rukovodstvo dlya tekh, u kogo sovershenno net vremeni (The strategy by yourself: step-by-step guide for those who have absolutely no time). Izdatelskie Resheniya, Ekaterinburg. [In Russian]Google Scholar
- 5.Abramov OY (2012) Kompleksniy analiz tehnicheskih sistem na perehodnom etape razvitiya (Comprehensive analysis of engineering systems at the transitional stage of their evolution). Thesis for Master’s degree in TRIZ, The International TRIZ Association (MATRIZ) [In Russian]. Abstract in English is available via TRIZ Developers Summit. http://triz-summit.ru/file.php/id/f5467/name/Abramov%20TRIZ-Master%20Thesis%202012_Abstract_ENG.pdf. Accessed 18 Jan 2018
- 6.Abramov OY (2017) Generating new product ideas with TRIZ-derived ‘Voice of the Product’ and Quantum-Economic Analysis (QEA). In: Paper presented at TRIZ future conference, the 17th international conference of the European TRIZ association, Lappeenranta, Finland, 4–6 October 2017. Abstract is available via Lappeenranta University of Technology. https://www.lut.fi/documents/27578/452786/BOOKofABSTRACTS_final.pdf. Accessed 18 Jan 2018
- 7.Abramov OY (2015) ‘Voice of the Product’ to supplement ‘Voice of the Customer’. In: Proceedings of TRIZFest-2015 conference, Seoul, South Korea, 10–12 September 2015 (pp. 309–317). Available via the International TRIZ Association – MATRIZ. http://matriz.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/TRIZfest-2016-Conference-Proceedings.pdf. Accessed 18 Jan 2018
- 8.Litvin SS (2011) Main parameters of value: TRIZ-based tool connecting business challenges to technical problems in product/process innovation. In: Keynote presentation at 7th Japan TRIZ symposium, Yokohama, Japan, 9 September 2011. Available via Japan TRIZ Society. http://www.triz-japan.org/PRESENTATION/sympo2011/Pres-Overseas/EI01eS-Litvin_(Keynote)-110817.pdf. Accessed 18 Jan 2018
- 9.Ikovenko S (2007) TRIZ tools within IP strategic framework development. In: Proceedings of the TRIZ-future conference 2007, Frankfurt, Germany, November 6–8, 2007. pp. 175–178Google Scholar
- 10.Li M, Ming X, He L et al (2015) A TRIZ-based trimming method for patent design around. Comput Aided Des 62:20–30. Available via ResearchGate. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/272392378_A_TRIZ-based_Trimming_method_for_Patent_design_around. Accessed 18 Jan 2018CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Litvin SS, Lyubomirskiy AL (2003) Zakoni razvitiya tekhnicheskih sistem (Trends of engineering systems evolution). [In Russian] Available via Metodolog.ru. http://www.metodolog.ru/00767/00767.html. Accessed 18 Jan 2018