Axl, a Geometric Modeler for Semi-algebraic Shapes
We describe the algebraic-geometric modeling platform Axl, which provides tools for the manipulation, computation and visualisation of semi-algebraic models. This includes meshes, basic geometric objects such as spheres, cylinders, cones, ellipsoids, torus, piecewise polynomial parameterisations of curves, surfaces or volumes such as b-spline parameterisations, as well as algebraic curves and surfaces defined by polynomial equations. Moreover, Axl provides algorithms for processing these geometric representations, such as computing intersection loci (points, curves) of parametric models, singularities of algebraic curves or surfaces, certified topology of curves and surfaces, etc.
We present its main features and describe its generic extension mechanism, which allows one to define new data types and new processes on the data, which benefit from automatic visualisation and interaction facilities. The application capacities of the software are illustrated by short descriptions of plugins on algebraic curves and surfaces and on splines for Isogeometric Analysis.
KeywordsSemi-algebraic model Isogeometric analysis b-splines Algebraic surface Algebraic-geometric computation Generic programming
- 1.Alberti, L., Mourrain, B.: Regularity criteria for the topology of algebraic curves and surfaces. In: Martin, R., Sabin, M., Winkler, J. (eds.) Mathematics of Surfaces XII. LNCS, vol. 4647, pp. 1–28. Springer, Heidelberg (2007). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-73843-5_1CrossRefzbMATHGoogle Scholar
- 2.Alberti, L., Mourrain, B.: Visualisation of implicit algebraic curves. In: Pacific Conference on Computer Graphics and Applications, Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii, United States, pp. 303–312. IEEE Computer Society, October 2007Google Scholar
- 8.Langer, U., Mantzaflaris, A., Moore, S.E., Toulopoulos, I.: Multipatch discontinuous galerkin isogeometric analysis. In: Jüttler, B., Simeon, B. (eds.) Isogeometric Analysis and Applications 2014. LNCSE, vol. 107, pp. 1–32. Springer, Cham (2015). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-23315-4_1CrossRefzbMATHGoogle Scholar
- 12.Schroeder, W., Martin, K., Lorensen, B.: The Visualization Toolkit, 4th edn. Kitware, Clifton Park (2006)Google Scholar
- 13.Wintz, J., Kloczko, T., Niclausse, N., Rey, D.: dtk - a metaplatform for scientific software development. ERCIM News 2012(88) (2012). http://ercim-news.ercim.eu/en88/ri/dtk-a-metaplatform-for-scientific-software-development