Affective Appraisal of Hospital Reception Scenes
This article describes an affective evaluation of hospital reception scenes and aims to identify dimensions that derive from environmental affection and the physical attributes which most influence this type of judgment. Two hospital reception scenes, typical of private hospitals in the region focused on in this research, one which was judged to have a relaxing quality and the other, exciting, were used as stimuli to collect data from 75 subjects, through a questionnaire, and whose responses were analyzed using graphics and frequency distribution tables. Findings confirm that the scene with relaxing quality raises the perceived affective quality, while the other, with an exciting quality, reduces it. It has also been found that color; furniture and size are the physical attributes which most influence these judgments.
KeywordsHospital reception Perceived affective quality Ergonomics of the built environment
We are grateful for the collaboration received from Gisele Silva, Elizabeth Arruda, Miquelina Gondola and Italo Cabral.
- Becjker F, Douglas S (2008) The ecology of the patient visit. J Ambul Care Manag 31:128–141. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.JAC.0000314703.34795.44CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Felippe ML (2014) Physical environment and environmental language in the affective stress restoration process in paediatric impatient rooms. PhD Thesis, University of FerraraGoogle Scholar
- Figueiredo E (2005) Ambientes de saúde – O hospital numa perspectiva ambiental terapêutica. In: Soczka L (ed) Contextos humanos e psicologia ambiental. Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian, Lisboa, pp 303–335Google Scholar
- Iida I (2005) Ergonomia: Projeto e Produção. Edgar Blucher, São PauloGoogle Scholar
- Lawrence R (2002) Healthy residential environments. In: Bechtel R, Churchman A (eds) Handbook of environmental psychology. Wiley, New York, pp 394–412Google Scholar
- Maciel AMM, Costa Filho L, Villarouco V (2018) A Qualidade Calmante Percebida em Cenas de Recepções Hospitalares, pp 798–807. In: Blucher, São Paulo. ISSN 2318-6968, https://doi.org/10.5151/eneac2018-058
- Marconi MA, Lakatos EM (2003) Fundamentos de metodologia, 5th edn. Atlas, São PauloGoogle Scholar
- Nasar JL (2000) The evaluative image of places. In: Walsh WB, Craik KH, Prince RH (eds) Person-environment psychology: new directions and perspectives, 2nd edn. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah, pp 117–168Google Scholar
- Nasar JL (2008) Visual quality by design. Haworth Inc, HollandGoogle Scholar
- Stamps AE (1992) Perceptual and preferential effects of photomontage simulations of environments: In: Perceptual and motor skills, nº 74. https://doi.org/10.2466/pms.19188.8.131.525
- Villarouco V (2011) Tratando de ambientes ergonomicamente adequados: seriam ergoambientes? In: Mont’Alvão C, Villarouco V (eds) Um novo olhar sobre o projeto: A Ergonomia do Ambiente Construído. Teresópolis: 2AB, pp 25–46Google Scholar
- Wohlwill J (1976) Environmental aesthetics: the environment as a source of affect. In: Altmann I, Wohlwill J (eds) Human behavior and environment, vol 1, pp 37–86 Google Scholar