ERIN: A Practical Tool for Assessing Exposure to Risks Factors for Work-Related Musculoskeletal Disorders
The prevention of work-related musculoskeletal disorders (WMSDs) has become one of the greatest of daily challenges that faces ergonomics professionals. One of the actions carried out as part of prevention is the assessment of exposure to WMSDs factors. To date, many different ergonomic assessment methods have been developed. However, in many cases, the correct use of these methods is conditioned by having personnel with high training and experience in ergonomics, which is scarce, mainly in Latin American countries, where there is a presumption of a greater presence of WMSDs risk factors. For this reason, a necessity of having practical methods to evaluate a wide variety of tasks and generate improvement actions has been identified and stated in these countries. In this paper, Evaluación del Riesgo Individual (Individual Risk Assessment) (ERIN) method is presented, which can be used by non-expert personnel in the ergonomic assessment of tasks. ERIN has proven to be easy to learn, easy to use, requires little training time and is a useful tool in identifying opportunities for ergonomic improvement. Finally, a case study showing how to evaluate a task with the ERIN method is included and some results of studies carried out to evaluate the reliability, validity and usability of the method are mentioned.
KeywordsMusculoskeletal disorders Ergonomic assessment Postural load
- 1.NIOSH, Bernard BP, Putz-Anderson V (1997) Musculoskeletal disorders and workplace factors. A critical review of epidemiologic evidence for work-related musculoskeletal disorders of the neck, upper extremity, and low back. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute for Occupational Safety and HealthGoogle Scholar
- 2.Takala E-P, Pehkonen I, Forsman M, Hansson G-A, Mathiassen SE, Neumann WP, Sjogaard G, Veiersted KB, Westgaard RH, Winkel J (2010) Systematic evaluation of observational methods assessing biomechanical exposures at work. Scand. J. Work Environ. Health 36:3–24. https://doi.org/10.5271/sjweh.2876CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Rodríguez Y (2011) ERIN: método práctico para evaluar la exposición a factores de riesgo de desórdenes músculo-esqueléticos. Departamento Ingeniería Industrial, Instituto Superior Politécnico José Antonio EcheverríaGoogle Scholar
- 7.Rodríguez Y (2018) Individual risk assessment (ERIN): method for the assessment of workplace risks for work-related musculoskeletal disorders. In: Handbook of research on ergonomics and product design, pp 1–27. IGI GlobalGoogle Scholar
- 8.Rodríguez Y, Heredia JJ (2013) Confiabilidad ínter-observador del método de Evaluación de Riesgo Individual. Revista Hacia la Promoción de la Salud 18Google Scholar