Multi-modal Plant Leaf Recognition Based on Centroid-Contour Distance and Local Discriminant Canonical Correlation Analysis
Leaf based plant species recognition plays an important research, but it is a challenging work because of the complexity and diversity of plant leaves. A multi-modal plant leaf recognition method is proposed based on centroid-contour distance (CCD) and local discriminant canonical correlation analysis (LDCCA). First, the CCD feature vector is extracted from each leaf image. Second, the extracted feature vectors of any two within-class leaves are integrated by LDCCA. Final, K-nearest neighbor classifier is applied to plant recognition. The experiment results on a public dataset validated the effectiveness of the proposed method.
KeywordsPlant recognition Centroid-contour distance Local discriminant canonical correlation analysis (LDCCA) Feature extraction
This work is supported by the China National Natural Science Foundation under grant Nos. 61473237, key research and development projects (2017ZDXM-NY-088), Key project (2016GY-141) of Shaanxi Department of Science and Technology. The authors would like to thank all the editors and anonymous reviewers for their constructive advice.
- 1.Sabu, A., Sreekumar, K.: Literature review of image features and classifiers used in leaf based plant recognition through image analysis approach. In: IEEE International Conference on Inventive Communication and Computational Technologies, pp. 145–149 (2017)Google Scholar
- 2.Wäldchen, J., Mäder, P.: Plant species identification using computer vision techniques: a systematic literature review. Arch. Comput. Methods Eng. 1–37 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11831-016-9206
- 4.Mouine, S., Yahiaoui, I., Verroust-Blondet, A.: Combining leaf salient points and leaf contour descriptions for plant species recognition. In: Kamel, M., Campilho, A. (eds.) ICIAR 2013. LNCS, vol. 7950, pp. 205–214. Springer, Heidelberg (2013). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-39094-4_24CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Jyotismita, C., Ranjan, P., Samar, B.: Plant leaf recognition using texture and shape features with neural classifiers. Pattern Recogn. Lett. 58(1), 61–68 (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.Zhang, H., Tao, X.: Leaf image recognition based on wavelet and fractal dimension. J. Comput. Inf. Syst. 11(1), 141–148 (2015)Google Scholar
- 9.Kohei, A., Cahya, R.: Content based image retrieval by using multi layer centroid contour distance. Int. J. Adv. Res. Artif. Intell. 2(3), 16–20 (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.Fern, B.M., Sulong, G.B., Rahim, M.S.M.: Leaf recognition based on leaf tip and leaf base using centroid contour gradient. J. Comput. Theor. Nanosci. 20(1), 209–212 (2014)Google Scholar
- 12.Khmag, A., Al-Haddad, S.A.R., Kamarudin, N.: Recognition system for leaf images based on its leaf contour and centroid. In: Student Conference on Research and Development, pp. 467–472. IEEE (2017)Google Scholar