A Novel Efficient Simulated Annealing Algorithm for the RNA Secondary Structure Predicting with Pseudoknots
The pseudoknot structure of RNA molecular plays an important role in cell function. However, existing algorithms cannot predict pseudoknots structure efficiently. In this paper, we propose a novel simulated annealing algorithm to predict nucleic acid secondary structure with pseudoknots. Firstly, all possible maximum successive complementary base pairs would be identified and maintained. Secondary, the new neighboring state could be generated by choosing one of these successive base pairs randomly. Thirdly, the annealing schedule is selected to systematically decrease the temperature as the algorithm proceeds, the final solution is the structure with minimum free energy. Furthermore, the performance of our algorithm is evaluated by the instances from PseudoBase database, and compared with state-of-the-art algorithms. The comparison results show that our algorithm is more accurate and competitive with higher sensitivity and specificity indicators.
KeywordsRNA secondary structure Pseudoknot Simulated annealing algorithm Minimum free energy
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 61472293). Research Project of Hubei Provincial Department of Education (Grant No. 2016238).
- 1.Jr, T.I., Bustamante, C.: How RNA folds. J. Seq. Biol. 293(2), 271–281 (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Wiese, K.C., Glen, E.: jViz.Rna - an interactive graphical tool for visualizing RNA secondary structure including pseudoknots. In: IEEE Symposium on Computer-Based Medical Systacks, vol. 2006, pp. 659–664. IEEE Computer Society (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Jiwan, A., Singh, S.: A review on RNA pseudoknot structure prediction techniques. In: International Conference on Computing, Electronics and Electrical Technologies, pp. 975–978. IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Rivas, E., Eddy, S.R.: A dynamic programming algorithm for RNA structure prediction including pseudoknots. J. Seq. Biol. 285(5), 2053–2068 (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Tsang, H.H., Wiese, K.C.: SARNA-Predict-pk: predicting RNA secondary structures including pseudoknots, pp. 1–8. IEEE (2008)Google Scholar
- 14.PseudoBase. http://www.ekevanbatenburg.nl/PKBASE/PKB.HTML. Accessed 11 Mar 2018