Theory of Michell Structures. Single Load Case
The Michell structures are solutions to the problems of optimum design put forward and discussed in Sects. 2.1 and 2.2 provided that the nodes of the trusses may be placed at arbitrary point of the design domain being a subdomain of the plane or of the Euclidean space. The present chapter introduces the reader to the main topic of the book.
- Chan, A. S. L. (1960). The design of Michell optimum structures. Cranfield: The College of Aeronautics (Report 142).Google Scholar
- Cherry, T. M. (1962). Anthony George Maldon Michell: 1870–1959. Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society (pp. 90–103). www.jstor.org.
- Cox, H. L. (1965). The design of structures of least weight. Oxford: Pergamon Press.Google Scholar
- Hemp, W. S. (1958). Theory of structural design. The College of Aeronautics, Cranfield. Report no 115.Google Scholar
- Hemp, W. S. (1973). Optimum structures. Oxford: Clarendon Press.Google Scholar
- Lagache, J.-M. (1981). Developments in Michell theory, pp. 4–9 to 4–16. In A. Atrek & R. H. Gallagher (Eds.), Proceedings of the International Symposium on Optimal Structural design. The 11th ONR Naval Structural Mechanics Symposium, 19–22 October 1981.Google Scholar
- Lewiński, T., & Sokół, T. (2014). On basic properties of Michell’s structures. In G. I. N. Rozvany & T. Lewiński (Eds.), Topology optimization in structural and continuum mechanics (Vol. 549). CISM international centre for mechanical sciences. Courses and lectures. Wien: Springer.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lewiński, T., & Telega, J. J. (2000). Plates, laminates and shells. Asymptotic analysis and homogenization. Singapore, New Jersey, London, Hong Kong: World Scientific.Google Scholar
- Maxwell, C. (1870). On reciprocal figures, frames and diagrams of forces. Scientific Papers II, 26, 161–207.Google Scholar
- Naghdi, P. M. (1963). Foundation of elastic shell theory. In I. N. Sneddon & R. Hill (Eds.), Progress in solid mechanics (pp. 2–90). Amsterdam: North Holland.Google Scholar
- Rozvany, G. I. N. (1976). Optimal design of flexural systems. London: Pergamon Press.Google Scholar