In the final chapter, the focus turns to mindfulness and regulation with technology. Some strategies and heuristics are given. The book concludes with a commentary on the next generation of smartphone users.
- American Academy of Pediatrics. 2016. American Academy of Pediatrics announces new recommendations for children’s media use. Accessed April 27, 2018. https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-aap/aap-press-room/pages/american-academy-of-pediatrics-announces-new-recommendations-for-childrens-media-use.aspx.
- Benedictus, Leo. 2014. Chinese city opens ‘phone lane’ for texting pedestrians. The Guardian, September 15. Accessed May 2, 2018. https://www.theguardian.com/world/shortcuts/2014/sep/15/china-mobile-phone-lane-distracted-walking-pedestrians.
- Bode, Carl. 1974. The Portable Thoreau. The Viking Press, Inc.Google Scholar
- Bridal Guide. 2017. Why you might want to consider an unplugged wedding. Accessed March 3, 2018. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/bridal-guide/why-you-might-want-to-con_b_3331528.html.
- Dubois, Shelley. 2010. Update: BP’s advertising budget during the spill neared $100 million. Fortune, September 1. Accessed May 2, 2018. http://archive.fortune.com/2010/09/01/news/companies/BP_spill_advertising_costs.fortune/index.htm?section=magazines_fortune&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fmagazines_fortune+%28Fortune+Magazine%29.
- Facebook. 2018. Accessed April 19, 2018. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4zd7X98eOs.
- Hague, Matthew. 2017. Stupid homes: Experts suggest people create space without technology. The Globe and Mail, April 18. Accessed March 4, 2018. https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/life/home-and-garden/stupid-homes-experts-suggest-people-create-space-without-technology/article34734653/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&.
- Herszenhorn, David. 2006. Mayor repeats policy: No cellphones in school. The New York Times, May 6. Accessed March 15, 2018. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/06/nyregion/06klein.html.
- Ingram, David. 2018. Exclusive: Facebook to put 1.5 billion users out of reach of new EU privacy law. Reuters, April 18. Accessed April 21, 2018. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-facebook-privacy-eu-exclusive/exclusive-facebook-to-put-1-5-billion-users-out-of-reach-of-new-eu-privacy-law-idUSKBN1HQ00P.
- Kabat-Zinn, Jon. 1990. Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness. New York: Bantam.Google Scholar
- Kaplan, Sarah. 2015. Texting while walking? There’s a lane for that. The Washington Post, June 17. Accessed April 27, 2018. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/06/17/texting-while-walking-theres-a-lane-for-that/?utm_term=.ae6e4c774efe.
- Knopper, Steve. 2018. Artists to fans: Put your phones away. Rolling Stone, February 28. Accessed March 9, 2018. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/how-yondr-is-creating-phone-free-concerts-w517177.
- Lindblom, Mike. 2017. Put down that cellphone; distracted-driving law is here. The Seattle Times, July 21. Accessed March 9, 2018. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/here-comes-washingtons-new-ban-on-driving-under-the-influence-of-electronics/.
- Mele, Christopher. 2017. Coffee shops skip wi-fi to encourage customers to actually talk. The New York Times, May 9. Accessed March 5, 2018. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/09/technology/coffee-shop-wifi-access.html.
- Mohn, Tanya. 2017. Reading this while walking? In Honolulu, it could cost you. The New York Times, October 23. Accessed March 15, 2018. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/23/business/honolulu-walking-and-texting-fine.html.
- Morrissey, Janet. 2016. Your phone’s on lockdown. Enjoy the show. The New York Times, October 15. Accessed March 15, 2018. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/16/technology/your-phones-on-lockdown-enjoy-the-show.html.
- National Day of Unplugging. 2018. National day of unplugging wrap-up 2018. Accessed April 9, 2018. https://www.nationaldayofunplugging.com/unplugged-blog/2018/4/16/national-day-of-unplugging-wrap-up-2018.
- Neporent, Liz. 2015. Most emails answered in just two minutes, study finds. ABC News, April 13. Accessed March 9, 2018. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/emails-answered-minutes-study-finds/story?id=30280230.
- Newport, Cal. 2016. Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World. Grand Central Publishing.Google Scholar
- Norman, Don. 2013. The Design of Everyday Things: Revised and Expanded Edition. New York: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- Note to Self. 2015. The case for boredom. Accessed April 2, 2018. http://www.wnyc.org/story/bored-brilliant-project-part-1.
- Reinhart, R.J. 2018. Americans hit the brakes on self-driving cars. Gallup, February 21. Accessed March 4, 2018. http://news.gallup.com/poll/228032/americans-hit-brakes-self-driving-cars.aspx.
- Reuters. 2015. New York City ends ban on cellphones in public schools. Accessed March 9, 2018. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-new-york-cell-phones/new-york-city-ends-ban-on-cellphones-in-public-schools-idUSKBN0KG1IS20150107.
- Samuel, Henry. 2017. France to impose total ban on mobile phones in schools. The Telegraph, December 11. Accessed March 3, 2018. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/11/france-impose-total-ban-mobile-phones-schools/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_tw.
- Schwartz, Karen. 2011. Shopping carts need reliable security too. BizTech Magazine, May 27. Accessed March 9, 2018. https://biztechmagazine.com/article/2011/05/shopping-carts-need-reliable-security-too.
- Steiner-Adair, Catherine, and Teresa Barker. 2013. The Big Disconnect: Protecting Childhood and Family Relationships in the Digital Age. New York: HarperCollins Publishers.Google Scholar
- Teitell, Beth. 2017. In Honolulu, walking and texting can cost you $99. But in Boston, phone zombies roam free. Boston Globe, November 12. Accessed March 12, 2018. http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/2017/11/12/honolulu-walking-and-texting-can-cost-you-but-boston-phone-zombies-roam-free/0Xux8FnjNhS9wGDDUMXOdM/story.html.
- Yates, Kiera. 2017. Your brain is your phone. Medium, August 28. Accessed April 26, 2018. Retrieved from https://howwegettonext.com/your-brain-is-your-phone-ab850d67fe3f.
© The Author(s) 2018