Power Efficiency of a SBC Based Hadoop Cluster
- 690 Downloads
Security, reliability and energy efficiency are key requirements in any smart cities applications. In this paper, we investigate the use of a power efficient cloud cluster composed of Single Board Computers (SBC). A Low-Cost Cloud Computing Cluster (LoC4) is designed using Raspberry Pi and Odroid Xu4 Single Board Computers. The LoC4 cluster is thoroughly tested for performance and power efficiency using TeraGen and TeraSort benchmarks that are used primarily for stress testing the Hadoop cluster. Results show that Odroid Xu4 computers consume more energy compared to RPi computers, however the overall energy consumption in the cluster for completion of a task was 91% and 72% better for Odroid Xu4 with workloads of 800 MB and 400 MB respectively.
KeywordsHybrid cloud computing Low cost cluster Power efficiency
This work is partially funded by the Robotics and Internet of Things Unit (RIoTU) at Prince Sultan University.
- 1.Data Center Efficiency Assessment: Scaling up energy efficiency across the data center industry, Natural Resources Defense Council, August 2014. https://www.nrdc.org/sites/default/files/data-center-efficiency-assessment-IP.pdf
- 2.The Apache Hadoop Project, 2017. http://www.hadoop.org
- 5.Krish, K.R., Iqbal, M.S., Rafique, M.M., Butt, A.R.: Towards energy awareness in hadoop. In: 4th International Workshop on Network-Aware Data Management, New Orleans, LA, pp. 16–22 (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.Tiwari, N., Bellur, U., Sarkar, S. Indrawan, M.: Identification of critical parameters for MapReduce energy efficiency using statistical Design of Experiments. In: 2016 IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium Workshops (IPDPSW), Chicago, IL, pp. 1170–1179 (2016)Google Scholar
- 9.Baun, C.: Mobile Clusters of Single Board Computers: An Option for Providing Resources to Student Projects and Researchers. SpringerPlus PMC. Web. 5, 360 (2016)Google Scholar
- 11.Odroid Xu-4 detailed specifications. http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G143452239825. Accessed 10 Oct 2016
- 12.The Raspberry Foundation. https://www.raspberrypi.org. Accessed 20 Nov 2015
- 13.Tso, F.P., White, D.R., Jouet, S., Singer, J., Pezaros, D.P.: The Glasgow raspberry pi cloud: a scale model for cloud computing infrastructures. In: IEEE 33rd International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems Workshops (ICDCSW). IEEE, Philadelphia, PA, USA, pp 108–112 (2013)Google Scholar
- 14.Whitehorn, J.: Raspberry flavored Hadoop. http://www.idatasci.com/uploads/1/4/6/6/14661274/jamiewhitehorn_raspberryflavouredhadoop_annotated.pdf