A Lightweight and Secure Framework for Hybrid Cloud Based EHR Systems
- 908 Downloads
Recently Cloud based Electronic Health Records Systems have been developed and are being used in the healthcare industry. Albeit the various benefits of the technology, security, trust and privacy are a major concern. In this paper, we present a secure and affordable framework for EHR storage, leveraging the properties of hybrid cloud in securing data in addition to building low power back-end cluster constructed using low cost single board computers (SBC). We detail requirements for a secure cloud based EHR framework and present the system architecture based on the publisher/subscriber model. The framework is developed and tested on a Hadoop based cloud cluster using SBCs as nodes. Efficiency of the framework is measured in terms of response time for various sizes of Data Blocks containing EHRs.
KeywordsHybrid cloud computing EHR systems Encryption
This work is partially funded by the Robotics and Internet of Things Unit (RIoTU) at Prince Sultan University.
- 2.Manoj, R., Alsadoon, A., Prasad, P.W.C., Costadopoulos, N., Ali, S.: Hybrid secure and scalable electronic health record sharing in hybrid cloud. In: 5th IEEE International Conference on Mobile Cloud Computing, Services, and Engineering (MobileCloud), pp. 185–190 (2017)Google Scholar
- 3.Arora, A., Khanna, A., Rastogi, A., Agarwal, A.: Cloud security ecosystem for data security and privacy. In: 7th International Conference on Cloud Computing, Data Science and Engineering, pp. 288–292 (2017)Google Scholar
- 4.Shrestha, M.N., Alsadoon, A., Prasad, C.P., Houran, L.: Enhanced eHealth framework for security and privacy in healthcare. In: 6th International Conference on Digital Information Processing and Communications (ICDIPC), pp. 75–79 (2016)Google Scholar
- 5.Suresh, S.: Highly secured cloud based personal health record model. In: International Conference on Green Engineering and Technologies (IC-GET), pp. 1–4 (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.US Department of Health and Human Services: Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (2017). http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy
- 12.Qureshi, B.: Towards a digital ecosystem for predictive healthcare analytics. In: 6th International Conference on Management of Emergent Digital EcoSystems (MEDES 2014), pp. 34–41 (2014)Google Scholar